Best way to gather metrics on STL string's

William Deegan

Greetings,

Anyone have a string class which will allow me to keep track of:
* average string length
* total memory allocated for strings
* # of strings of each given length?

Thanks,
Bill

Mike Wahler

William Deegan said:
Greetings,

Anyone have a string class which will allow me to keep track of:
* average string length
* total memory allocated for strings
* # of strings of each given length?

You can wrap a std::string in a custom type which
implements static members to do this.

static std::string::size_type avg_len;
static std::size_t tot_capacity;
static std::map<std::string::size_type, std::size_t> histo;

Then you'll need to keep all these in sync when implementing
constructors, destructor, and all the desired operators
(these could delegate to those of std::string)

-Mike