Best way to generate XSD from Java

the don

Want to tag Methods first, then input tagged Java file to code generator,
like JavaDoc or Velocity, then output XML Schema with elements generated
according to parameters provided by tags.

Better to use JavaDoc Tags or Annotations? What Templating engine(s) do you
recommend?

Thanks

Arne Vajhøj

Want to tag Methods first, then input tagged Java file to code generator,
like JavaDoc or Velocity, then output XML Schema with elements generated
according to parameters provided by tags.

Better to use JavaDoc Tags or Annotations? What Templating engine(s) do you
recommend?

Annotations are a lot easier to process than source code parsing.

And I assume that you want to write a customer generator.

The easy solution is JAXB annotations and schemagen.

Arne

the don

Annotations are a lot easier to process than source code parsing.

And I assume that you want to write a customer generator.

The easy solution is JAXB annotations and schemagen.

Arne

Thank you, I will take a look

Robert Klemme

Thank you, I will take a look

Just a side note: I prefer to create the schema _first_ because that is
something the user will face (I am thinking of configuration files
here). So first comes usability for the user and only then I bother how
that will be transferred into Java land. I use "trang" to generate an
XSD and modify it manually afterwards.

http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

If you are designing XML based persistence of Java classes then of
course your approach is at least equally valid. But I would do that
only if I am sure no human being needs to edit those XML files.

Kind regards

robert

the don

Just a side note: I prefer to create the schema _first_ because that is
something the user will face (I am thinking of configuration files
here). So first comes usability for the user and only then I bother how
that will be transferred into Java land. I use "trang" to generate an
XSD and modify it manually afterwards.

http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/trang.html

If you are designing XML based persistence of Java classes then of
course your approach is at least equally valid. But I would do that
only if I am sure no human being needs to edit those XML files.

Kind regards

robert

Let me clarify a little bit, I'm not trying to do what JAXB does. I'm not
trying to marshall and unmarshall XML info to and from Java. In fact, The
XSD files produced *will* be compiled with xjc for that purpose but they
will *not* translate between XML and the annotated Java Classes which were
used to produce them.

I intend to automate the Methods in the annotated Java Classes, ie store
sequences of Method calls in XML files, read them into memory and then
invoke them in instantiated Object(s) of that type. I would like to start
with the Classes themselves, tag or annotate the Methods I want to make
available for automation, then generate an XSD which can be used by JAXB
for marshalling and unmarshalling, as well as for creating and editing
these "Command Strings" with validation. Eclipse, for instance, provides
something like the latter capability

There is probably some way to tag (or annotate!) a Java file so that a
Templating engine could generate the desired output, and I doubt that it is
very difficult. I was just asking to see what experience people here have
had with this sort of thing and give me some direction.

Thank you

P.S. the annotations I'm speaking of would indicate things like a Method's
name, it's return type and it's arguments. Right now such Methods only take
and return Java Primitives but that is because XML Schema makes it easier
to do since it provides simple types that correspond to each of them, and
that makes validation possible

Daniele Futtorovic

[...]

Uh, indeed, you're not trying to do what JAXB does, and I am doubtful
whether it will be of use to you at all. An XML document is, an XSD
describes, and the Java Binding API binds, *data structures*. They have
no concept of methods as such.

You'll probably be better off writing your own annotation parser and
generating the schema on the fly (and pondering whether to use JAXB
annotations or your own). See
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/apt/index.html>
and
<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/jdk/api/apt/mirror/overview-summary.html>
for more information.

Arne Vajhøj

Just a side note: I prefer to create the schema _first_ because that is
something the user will face (I am thinking of configuration files
here).

Contract first vs code first is a classic discussion.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I intend to automate the Methods in the annotated Java Classes, ie store
sequences of Method calls in XML files, read them into memory and then
invoke them in instantiated Object(s) of that type. I would like to start
with the Classes themselves, tag or annotate the Methods I want to make
available for automation, then generate an XSD which can be used by JAXB
for marshalling and unmarshalling, as well as for creating and editing
these "Command Strings" with validation. Eclipse, for instance, provides
something like the latter capability

There is probably some way to tag (or annotate!) a Java file so that a
Templating engine could generate the desired output, and I doubt that it is
very difficult. I was just asking to see what experience people here have
had with this sort of thing and give me some direction.

JAXB is for data classes. I don't think it will work for you.

Annotations and a processor that generates Java code must be the
right way forward for your problem.

Arne

markspace

P.S. the annotations I'm speaking of would indicate things like a Method's
name, it's return type and it's arguments.

This sounds suspiciously like information that's already in the class
files. Are you planning on parsing source files, or interpreting byte
codes? The javap already does this, to a degree.

Possibly all you need to do is mark a method for testing; the return
type and argument list is retained in the byte code .class file.

Robert Klemme

This sounds suspiciously like information that's already in the class
files. Are you planning on parsing source files, or interpreting byte
codes? The javap already does this, to a degree.

Exactly what I would have remarked: _all_ that information is already
available in the class file.
Possibly all you need to do is mark a method for testing; the return
type and argument list is retained in the byte code .class file.

I would even go as far as to claim that it is harmful to include said
information in the annotation because it is redundant and won't
automatically be adjusted if the class is changed. Then there will be
conflicting information.

Kind regards

robert

Robert Klemme

Let me clarify a little bit, I'm not trying to do what JAXB does. I'm not
trying to marshall and unmarshall XML info to and from Java. In fact, The
XSD files produced *will* be compiled with xjc for that purpose but they
will *not* translate between XML and the annotated Java Classes which were
used to produce them.

A few lines down you say "generate an XSD which can be used by JAXB for
marshalling and unmarshalling".
I intend to automate the Methods in the annotated Java Classes, ie store
sequences of Method calls in XML files, read them into memory and then
invoke them in instantiated Object(s) of that type. I would like to start
with the Classes themselves, tag or annotate the Methods I want to make
available for automation, then generate an XSD which can be used by JAXB
for marshalling and unmarshalling, as well as for creating and editing
these "Command Strings" with validation. Eclipse, for instance, provides
something like the latter capability

There is probably some way to tag (or annotate!) a Java file so that a
Templating engine could generate the desired output, and I doubt that it is
very difficult. I was just asking to see what experience people here have
had with this sort of thing and give me some direction.

You can have javac use an annotation processor, if you want to do your
work on compilation time. In your case you would likely need to to some
processing after compiling all classes in order to be able to combine
information obtained from individual classes into a single XSD (if only
for including all other XSD snippets).

From what I understand about your goal you should probably generally
distinguish two things here:

1. creating objects
2. invoking methods

JAXB might help you with 1 but certainly not with 2. Also, you need a
way to define variables to store references to created objects in so you
can use them in method calls. So, basically your XML needs to be able
to store... what? Basically you want an interpreter to execute Java
code, don't you? Thinking a few corners further you'll notice that
there is actually already a way to specify sequences of method
invocations: Java code. You might be better off with some BeanShell
solution in the end. You get editors with semantic insight for free
(it's your IDE) etc.

Kind regards

robert

http://www.beanshell.org/

Robert Klemme

You might want to tackle this by parsing the Java to a tree, then
generating what you need directly. See

.... or create a DSL right away if the functionality should be restricted
in some way compared to what one can do with pure Java.

Cheers

robert