Best way to get latest ruby on OS X?

Dennis Roberts

So I just got a mac mini and want to get the latest version of ruby.
What is the best way to do that? fink? compile myself? Is there some
fancy DMG just waiting for me? Thanks.

Timothy Hunter

Dennis said:
So I just got a mac mini and want to get the latest version of ruby.
What is the best way to do that? fink? compile myself? Is there some
fancy DMG just waiting for me? Thanks.
There may well be something on fink but compiling Ruby from source takes
all of 5 minutes and you always know exactly what you've got. Installing
the fink infrastructure takes longer than that.

Eric Jacoboni

Timothy Hunter said:
There may well be something on fink

AFAIK, Fink version is a old one.

For Ruby on mac, go for Darwin Ports: so far, they alway tracks latest
releases.

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:34:44AM +0900:
AFAIK, Fink version is a old one.

For Ruby on mac, go for Darwin Ports: so far, they alway tracks latest
releases.

But don't support readline, which makes irb pretty painful.

Sam

Luc Heinrich

Dennis Roberts said:
So I just got a mac mini and want to get the latest version of ruby.
What is the best way to do that? fink? compile myself?

Stay away from fink at all costs. Just download the source tarball and
compile it.

Eric Jacoboni

But don't support readline, which makes irb pretty painful.

You're right (i've never noticed this pb as i don't use irb). That's
rather suprising as this port depends on readline, though.

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 02:49:44AM +0900:
You're right (i've never noticed this pb as i don't use irb). That's

I find it handy, particularly because the debugger doesn't work very
well (and doesn't have readline support either).
rather suprising as this port depends on readline, though.

making it depend on readline is just a line in the portfile.

Making ruby see that readline is there and build against it is harder.

I've killed some time trying to get it to happen, with no success, yet.

Cheers,
Sam

Eric Jacoboni

Sam Roberts said:
making it depend on readline is just a line in the portfile.

Making ruby see that readline is there and build against it is harder.

Sure... But it shows there is a problem with this port. Browsing
bugzilla on Darwinports show that the maintainer is aware of it and is
working on it.

Phil Tomson

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:34:44AM +0900:

But don't support readline, which makes irb pretty painful.

irb works fine for me and I got Ruby1.8.2 off of darwinports.

Phil

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 05:04:43AM +0900:
irb works fine for me and I got Ruby1.8.2 off of darwinports.

Before I reinstall, by "works fine", you mean the arrow keys allow you
to go through the history?

Sam

Eric Jacoboni

Before I reinstall, by "works fine", you mean the arrow keys allow you
to go through the history?

On a pristine install of last port (1.8.2_2), arrows keys doesn't work
on my box, too.

Ollivier Robert gives me a workaround:

After install, do a "make -f build ruby", then goes to
work/ruby*/readline directory, do a "ruby extconf.rb", then "make;make
install".

This solution has solved the readline problem on my box : now, arrow
keys work with /opt/local/bin/irb.

I'm in touch with the port maintainer to find a more elegant solution.

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 05:24:44AM +0900:
On a pristine install of last port (1.8.2_2), arrows keys doesn't work
on my box, too.

Ollivier Robert gives me a workaround:

After install, do a "make -f build ruby", then goes to
work/ruby*/readline directory, do a "ruby extconf.rb", then "make;make
install".

Yeah! That worked for me.

Mostly. "make -f build ruby" seems like a typo. But manually building
the extension was fine.
This solution has solved the readline problem on my box : now, arrow
keys work with /opt/local/bin/irb.

I'm in touch with the port maintainer to find a more elegant solution.

I'll try and post this to ruby-core, I think there is something wrong
with the ruby build system if you can build the single extension it
works, but if you build ruby the extension doesn't get built.

Sam

Phil Tomson

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 05:04:43AM +0900:

Before I reinstall, by "works fine", you mean the arrow keys allow you
to go through the history?

Yep. I did the 1.8.2 install from darwinports about 1.5 months ago.

Phil