Best way to handle documents in ASP.NET

Thomas Scheiderich

I am getting ready to look at putting our users manual and employee handbook
on our intranet and was curious how others do it?

We have it already set up as Word documents and am looking at whether to put
into our Sql Server and maintain it there or put it as text or doc files
(not sure how I would display Word .doc files on a web page with all the
Word formating).

Not sure how to keep it maintained either.

Just want to get others experience with this type of documents management.

Thanks,

Tom.

Lauchlan M

I am getting ready to look at putting our users manual and employee
handbook
on our intranet and was curious how others do it?

We have it already set up as Word documents and am looking at whether to put
into our Sql Server and maintain it there or put it as text or doc files
(not sure how I would display Word .doc files on a web page with all the
Word formating).

Not sure how to keep it maintained either.

Just want to get others experience with this type of documents management.

Why can't you put it there as a word or pdf doc and the user can view this
doc in their browser or download it?

Lauchlan M

Thomas Scheiderich

clintonG said:
Not using Windows SharePoint Services?

No, I don't think so.

We are using W2K Server and Sql Server 2000. Is this something extra?

How would it help me with my putting our documents on the website?

Thanks,

Tom.

Thomas Scheiderich

Lauchlan M said:
management.

Why can't you put it there as a word or pdf doc and the user can view this
doc in their browser or download it?

I could, I suppose. That is what I am looking for. The best way to handle
this.

How would I display a word document or pdf.doc file on the web.

We do have acrobat professional (just picked it up). Would it better to
convert the word documents to acrobat and us that on the web?

Thanks,

Tom.

Joerg Jooss

Thomas said:
I could, I suppose. That is what I am looking for. The best way to
handle this.

How would I display a word document or pdf.doc file on the web.

We do have acrobat professional (just picked it up). Would it better
to convert the word documents to acrobat and us that on the web?

At least that's portable ;-)

But there's really no problem here. Just put a Word document on your test
web server and download it. IE invokes Word to display the document within
the browser's main window.

Cheers,

Thomas Scheiderich

Joerg Jooss said:
At least that's portable ;-)

But there's really no problem here. Just put a Word document on your test
web server and download it. IE invokes Word to display the document within
the browser's main window.

But what would the HTML/ASP code look like that would do this?

Thanks,

Tom.

Joerg Jooss

Thomas said:
But what would the HTML/ASP code look like that would do this?

This laregly depends on how dynamic your environment is, i.e. how often
documents are removed or added. I guess a good approach to start with is to
put all Word documents in a directory (e.g. /documents), write some code
that iterates through all files in that particular directory, produces
hyperlinks from those file names, and binds the collection of hyperlinks to
a Repeater control.

Cheers,

Thomas Scheiderich

Joerg Jooss said:
This laregly depends on how dynamic your environment is, i.e. how often
documents are removed or added. I guess a good approach to start with is to
put all Word documents in a directory (e.g. /documents), write some code
that iterates through all files in that particular directory, produces
hyperlinks from those file names, and binds the collection of hyperlinks to
a Repeater control.

I see.

But do I have to tell IE how to handle the document? Or does it just know
by the extension (.doc = word and .pdf = acrobat)?

Thanks,

Tom.

Joerg Jooss

Thomas said:
I see.

But do I have to tell IE how to handle the document? Or does it just
know by the extension (.doc = word and .pdf = acrobat)?

IE uses Windows' file extension associations, like Windows Explorer. There's
nothing to do by default.

Cheers,

Jim Corey

The Community Starter Kit at www.asp.net provides the functionality to
upload and download documents and stores them in a database rather than
as files.

The advantage here is that they can be added and deleted from the
database easily by users of the web site.

The code for this kit is pretty daunting although probably this
particular function might be straight foward, if you want to dig. A
question to the forum for that kit might get you some info.

Jim