    Just want to get others experience with this type of documents management.

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Thomas Scheiderich, May 20, 2004

  2. Thomas Scheiderich

    clintonG Guest

    Not using Windows SharePoint Services?

    --
    <%= Clinton Gallagher
    NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com

    "Thomas Scheiderich" <> wrote in message
    > I am getting ready to look at putting our users manual and employee

    handbook
    > on our intranet and was curious how others do it?
    >
    > We have it already set up as Word documents and am looking at whether

    to put
    > into our Sql Server and maintain it there or put it as text or doc

    files
    > (not sure how I would display Word .doc files on a web page with all

    the

    clintonG, May 20, 2004

  3. Thomas Scheiderich

    Lauchlan M Guest

    > I am getting ready to look at putting our users manual and employee
    handbook
    > on our intranet and was curious how others do it?
    >
    > We have it already set up as Word documents and am looking at whether to

    put
    > into our Sql Server and maintain it there or put it as text or doc files
    > (not sure how I would display Word .doc files on a web page with all the
    > Word formating).
    >
    > Not sure how to keep it maintained either.
    >
    > Just want to get others experience with this type of documents management.

    Why can't you put it there as a word or pdf doc and the user can view this
    doc in their browser or download it?

    Lauchlan M

    Lauchlan M, May 20, 2004
  4. "clintonG" <csgallagher@> wrote in message
    > Not using Windows SharePoint Services?

    No, I don't think so.

    We are using W2K Server and Sql Server 2000. Is this something extra?

    How would it help me with my putting our documents on the website?

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Thomas Scheiderich, May 20, 2004
  5. "Lauchlan M" <> wrote in message
    > > I am getting ready to look at putting our users manual and employee

    > handbook
    > > on our intranet and was curious how others do it?
    > >
    > > We have it already set up as Word documents and am looking at whether to

    > put
    > > into our Sql Server and maintain it there or put it as text or doc files
    > > (not sure how I would display Word .doc files on a web page with all the
    > > Word formating).
    > >
    > > Not sure how to keep it maintained either.
    > >
    > > Just want to get others experience with this type of documents

    management.

    > Why can't you put it there as a word or pdf doc and the user can view this
    > doc in their browser or download it?

    I could, I suppose. That is what I am looking for. The best way to handle
    this.

    How would I display a word document or pdf.doc file on the web.

    We do have acrobat professional (just picked it up). Would it better to
    convert the word documents to acrobat and us that on the web?

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Thomas Scheiderich, May 20, 2004
  6. Thomas Scheiderich

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Thomas Scheiderich wrote:
    > "Lauchlan M" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am getting ready to look at putting our users manual and employee
    >>> handbook on our intranet and was curious how others do it?
    >>>
    >>> We have it already set up as Word documents and am looking at
    >>> whether to put into our Sql Server and maintain it there or put it
    >>> as text or doc files (not sure how I would display Word .doc files
    >>> on a web page with all the Word formating).
    >>>
    >>> Not sure how to keep it maintained either.
    >>>
    >>> Just want to get others experience with this type of documents
    >>> management.

    >> Why can't you put it there as a word or pdf doc and the user can
    >> view this doc in their browser or download it?

    > I could, I suppose. That is what I am looking for. The best way to
    > handle this.
    >
    > How would I display a word document or pdf.doc file on the web.
    >
    > We do have acrobat professional (just picked it up). Would it better
    > to convert the word documents to acrobat and us that on the web?

    At least that's portable ;-)

    But there's really no problem here. Just put a Word document on your test
    web server and download it. IE invokes Word to display the document within
    the browser's main window.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss

    Joerg Jooss, May 20, 2004
  7. "Joerg Jooss" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas Scheiderich wrote:
    > > "Lauchlan M" <> wrote in message

    > >> Why can't you put it there as a word or pdf doc and the user can
    > >> view this doc in their browser or download it?

    > > I could, I suppose. That is what I am looking for. The best way to
    > > handle this.
    > >
    > > How would I display a word document or pdf.doc file on the web.
    > >
    > > We do have acrobat professional (just picked it up). Would it better
    > > to convert the word documents to acrobat and us that on the web?

    > At least that's portable ;-)
    >
    > But there's really no problem here. Just put a Word document on your test
    > web server and download it. IE invokes Word to display the document within
    > the browser's main window.

    But what would the HTML/ASP code look like that would do this?

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Thomas Scheiderich, May 20, 2004
  8. Thomas Scheiderich

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Thomas Scheiderich wrote:
    > "Joerg Jooss" <> wrote in message
    >> Thomas Scheiderich wrote:
    >>> "Lauchlan M" <> wrote in message

    >>> I could, I suppose. That is what I am looking for. The best way to
    >>> handle this.
    >>>
    >>> How would I display a word document or pdf.doc file on the web.
    >>>
    >>> We do have acrobat professional (just picked it up). Would it
    >>> better to convert the word documents to acrobat and us that on the
    >>> web?

    >> At least that's portable ;-)
    >>
    >> But there's really no problem here. Just put a Word document on your
    >> test web server and download it. IE invokes Word to display the
    >> document within the browser's main window.
    >>

    > But what would the HTML/ASP code look like that would do this?

    This laregly depends on how dynamic your environment is, i.e. how often
    documents are removed or added. I guess a good approach to start with is to
    put all Word documents in a directory (e.g. /documents), write some code
    that iterates through all files in that particular directory, produces
    hyperlinks from those file names, and binds the collection of hyperlinks to
    a Repeater control.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss

    Joerg Jooss, May 20, 2004
  9. See:

    http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, May 20, 2004
  10. "Joerg Jooss" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas Scheiderich wrote:
    > > "Joerg Jooss" <> wrote in message

    > >> At least that's portable ;-)
    > >>
    > >> But there's really no problem here. Just put a Word document on your
    > >> test web server and download it. IE invokes Word to display the
    > >> document within the browser's main window.
    > >>

    > > But what would the HTML/ASP code look like that would do this?

    > This laregly depends on how dynamic your environment is, i.e. how often
    > documents are removed or added. I guess a good approach to start with is

    > put all Word documents in a directory (e.g. /documents), write some code
    > that iterates through all files in that particular directory, produces
    > hyperlinks from those file names, and binds the collection of hyperlinks

    > a Repeater control.

    I see.

    But do I have to tell IE how to handle the document? Or does it just know
    by the extension (.doc = word and .pdf = acrobat)?

    Thanks,

    Tom.

    Thomas Scheiderich, May 20, 2004
  11. Thomas Scheiderich

    Joerg Jooss Guest

    Thomas Scheiderich wrote:
    > "Joerg Jooss" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> This laregly depends on how dynamic your environment is, i.e. how
    >> often documents are removed or added. I guess a good approach to
    >> start with is to put all Word documents in a directory (e.g.
    >> /documents), write some code that iterates through all files in that
    >> particular directory, produces hyperlinks from those file names, and
    >> binds the collection of hyperlinks to a Repeater control.

    > I see.
    >
    > But do I have to tell IE how to handle the document? Or does it just
    > know by the extension (.doc = word and .pdf = acrobat)?

    IE uses Windows' file extension associations, like Windows Explorer. There's
    nothing to do by default.

    Cheers,

    --
    Joerg Jooss

    Joerg Jooss, May 20, 2004
  12. Thomas Scheiderich

    Jim Corey Guest

    The Community Starter Kit at www.asp.net provides the functionality to
    upload and download documents and stores them in a database rather than
    as files.

    The advantage here is that they can be added and deleted from the
    database easily by users of the web site.

    The code for this kit is pretty daunting although probably this
    particular function might be straight foward, if you want to dig. A
    question to the forum for that kit might get you some info.

    Jim

    Jim Corey, May 20, 2004