best way to host a membership site

Discussion in 'Python' started by Magdoll, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. Magdoll

    Magdoll Guest

    Hi,
    I know this is potentially off-topic, but because python is the
    language I'm most comfortable with and I've previously had experiences
    with plone, I'd as much advice as possible on this.

    I want to host a site where people can register to become a user. They
    should be able to maintain their own "showroom", where they can show
    blog entries (maybe just by linking to their own blogs on some other
    blog/album-hosting site like Xanga), put up pictures (again, I'm not
    thinking about actually hosting these data, since there are already
    plenty of places to put your pictures and blogs). The most important
    thing is they will be able to build up a "profile" where I can store
    in a DB. The profile will include membership information - for now,
    think of it as "member X owns item A,B,C and gave comments on A such
    and such, also member X is a male white caucasian between his 20-30
    who likes outdoors". Eventually, I want this to be a simple social-
    networking site where people can share a very particular hobby (I'm
    doing it for comsetics and for a very targeted group that are active
    bloggers, so they'll be somewhat web-salient) and the backend can
    collect enough data (while maintaining privacy) to build up a
    recommendation system similar to Netflix's movie recommendations, or
    Match.com if you will.

    I want to know that given I know python best and I abhor C#/ASP, what
    is the best thing to use. A friend recommended Ruby on Rails - not to
    instigate war here, but I'd welcome comments on that (I don't know
    Ruby, but I'll learn). I've used PLONE before, but back then I
    remembered the site ran incredably slow (or it could just be the
    server), and there were issues with upgrades. I want to minimze time
    on trying to learn how to write an interface for users to register and
    manage their own space. Also I want an infrastructure that's not too
    rigid so if in the future I want to add more apps it's not to hard.

    I've also heard about django, but not enough to know how far it'll get
    me. I'm open to all sorts of suggestions. Thanks!

    - Magdoll

    Magdoll, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Magdoll a écrit :
    > Hi,
    > I know this is potentially off-topic, but because python is the
    > language I'm most comfortable with and I've previously had experiences
    > with plone, I'd as much advice as possible on this.
    >
    > I want to host a site where people can register to become a user. They
    > should be able to maintain their own "showroom", where they can show
    > blog entries (maybe just by linking to their own blogs on some other
    > blog/album-hosting site like Xanga), put up pictures (again, I'm not
    > thinking about actually hosting these data, since there are already
    > plenty of places to put your pictures and blogs). The most important
    > thing is they will be able to build up a "profile" where I can store
    > in a DB. The profile will include membership information - for now,
    > think of it as "member X owns item A,B,C and gave comments on A such
    > and such, also member X is a male white caucasian between his 20-30
    > who likes outdoors". Eventually, I want this to be a simple social-
    > networking site where people can share a very particular hobby (I'm
    > doing it for comsetics and for a very targeted group that are active
    > bloggers, so they'll be somewhat web-salient) and the backend can
    > collect enough data (while maintaining privacy) to build up a
    > recommendation system similar to Netflix's movie recommendations, or
    > Match.com if you will.

    You may want to have a look at o'reilly's "Programming Collective
    Intelligence"
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529321/

    The code examples are alas very very poorly coded, but at least they are
    in Python.

    > I want to know that given I know python best and I abhor C#/ASP, what
    > is the best thing to use. A friend recommended Ruby on Rails - not to
    > instigate war here, but I'd welcome comments on that (I don't know
    > Ruby, but I'll learn).

    Ruby by itself is a nice language, but really on the same "niche" as
    Python. Rails is a nice framework too, but there are real problems wrt/
    perfs and scalability - nothing that can't be solved given enough
    efforts and hardware, but depending on the expected load, this might be
    something you want to take into account (or just don't care).

    > I've used PLONE before, but back then I
    > remembered the site ran incredably slow (or it could just be the
    > server), and there were issues with upgrades.

    Plone is indeed a 80000-pounds behemoth, and (from working experience)
    is certainly one of the worst possible solution for anything else than
    pure content management.

    > I want to minimze time
    > on trying to learn how to write an interface for users to register and
    > manage their own space. Also I want an infrastructure that's not too
    > rigid so if in the future I want to add more apps it's not to hard.
    >
    > I've also heard about django, but not enough to know how far it'll get
    > me. I'm open to all sorts of suggestions. Thanks!

    We're about to start a couple somewhat similar projects here, and while
    our chief engineer is a definitive Ruby/Rails addict, we finally settled
    on Django. While it's not my own personal favorite Python MVC framework,
    it's still a very good one, and probably the more mature and stable so
    far. wrt/ the "add more apps in the future" concern, you may want to
    read this:
    http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2007/nov/29/django-blog/

    HTH

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Apr 30, 2008

  3. > We're about to start a couple somewhat similar projects here, and while
    > our chief engineer is a definitive Ruby/Rails addict, we finally settled
    > on Django. While it's not my own personal favorite Python MVC framework,
    > it's still a very good one, and probably the more mature and stable so
    > far. wrt/ the "add more apps in the future" concern, you may want to
    > read this:http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2007/nov/29/django-blog/

    Interesting link. Django does seem to be a well designed
    modular approach -- and I think if it had existed back in
    '97 the history of web development would have been much
    different.

    I can't help feeling that it would be nice to have a
    collection of tools that was even more orthogonal
    and flexible, and WSGI
    seems to possibly offer a nice base platform for constructing
    tools like these. Also I think it remains devilishly difficult
    to implement ajaxy functionalities like smart data pickers,
    in-form validation, partial form saving, "chatty interfaces" etc.

    What are some good paradigms or
    methodologies or ideas out there that the Python community
    should steal? :)

    warning: It's very possible that my understanding of Django is not
    deep enough and that the answer is "Django".
    -- Aaron Watters
    ===
    http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/pydistro.py/go?FREETEXT=you may cheat

    Aaron Watters, Apr 30, 2008
  4. -On [20080430 02:16], Magdoll () wrote:
    >Also I want an infrastructure that's not too rigid so if in the future I
    >want to add more apps it's not to hard.

    Not to belittle Django, but for what I wanted to do with it, it was too
    restraining.

    I instead went with a combination of:

    Werkzeug - http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/
    SQLAlchemy - http://www.sqlalchemy.org/
    Genshi - http://genshi.edgewall.org/ (although some people might prefer
    Jinja is they like Django's templating - http://jinja.pocoo.org/)
    Babel - http://babel.edgewall.org/

    This provided me with a lot of flexibility, more than Django could've
    provided me with (but hey, welcome to the general limitation of frameworks).

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    The human race is challenged more than ever before to demonstrate our
    mastery -- not over nature but of ourselves...

    Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven, Apr 30, 2008
  5. On Apr 30, 10:43 am, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmo...@in-
    nomine.org> wrote:
    > Werkzeug -http://werkzeug.pocoo.org/ ....

    Wow. An initial glance looks great! I need help with pronunciation,
    though :(.
    (also, I'm a little disappointed because I made some notes that looked
    a little
    like this...)
    -- Aaron Watters
    ===
    http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/pydistro.py/go?FREETEXT=slip nibble

    Aaron Watters, Apr 30, 2008
  6. Magdoll

    JYA Guest

    Hi

    On 2008-04-30 10:11:46 +1000, Magdoll <> said:
    > is the best thing to use. A friend recommended Ruby on Rails - not to
    > instigate war here, but I'd welcome comments on that (I don't know

    You should have a look at Pylons then.
    It is similar in essence to Ruby on Rails, but using Pythons.

    http://pylonshq.com/

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

    JYA, May 1, 2008
  7. -On [20080430 17:48], Aaron Watters () wrote:
    >Wow. An initial glance looks great! I need help with pronunciation,
    >though :(.

    Werkzeug is supposed to be pronounced in German.
    It translates to 'tool'.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    Heaven can wait 'till another day...

    Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven, May 1, 2008