    bookmarked too)

    Am I being dense here?

    Thanks in advance for any useful comments.

    Jason Burr, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Jason Burr

    CJM Guest

    For alternatives for storing sessio state:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175167

    I think the DB version is the most suited to your needs.

    Use querystrings to pass a DB Session ID to each page:
    //www.mysite.asp?sessionid=12345

    Store this session information in a DB.

    Regularly cleanout the Sessions table to delete old sessions. [Sessions that
    are cobverted to orders are obvioulsy in a serperate table]

    hth

    Chris

    CJM, Dec 9, 2003

  3. > I was wondering what the best approach to handling a shopping cart was. My
    > concerns
    >
    > 1. Cookies not accepted (session variables not maintained and setting
    > retreiving cookies doesn't work)

    I always find this amusing. Do you think people who don't trust your site
    enough to allow a session cookie, are going to fork over their credit card
    information?

    Anyway, see http://www.aspfaq.com/cart for a very simple example that does
    not rely on cookies.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Jason Burr

    Jason Burr Guest

    The answer to that is a big yes. Alot of people install software that blocks
    cookies and they are ignorant to it until sites dont work then they really
    dont trust the site and its something that was their doing through
    ignorance. I have had plenty of people come to me whining about that very
    issue.

    I know about the faq and have the example and that falls under my concern
    about people behind a cable router using NAT etc. since the example seems to
    use the ip of the user for identity. I didn't get in depth with it maybe I
    missed something there.

    Jason Burr, Dec 9, 2003
  5. > I know about the faq and have the example and that falls under my concern
    > about people behind a cable router using NAT etc. since the example seems

    > use the ip of the user for identity.

    No, it does not. I believe it stores the IP address, but that is not used
    to uniquely identify users - it is just for logging.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 9, 2003