Best way to merge a blog engine into my website

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cal Who, Jun 8, 2010.

  1. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    I want to add a blog to my existing site.

    I see that there are quite a few free complete blog software kits available.

    I'd like to try to install one along side my existing website.

    I'm guessing one way is to combine the Global.asax, default.aspx and
    web.Config files so that there is only one website entry and the website or
    blog can then be selected.

    I'm wondering if there is a simpler way. I'm wondering if I can create a
    folder in my website and copy the entire blog software, including the files
    mentioned above, into it. Is it possible to have two, for example,
    web.config files (in different folders)?

    I'd appreciate any input, such as a good blog engine to use
    or how it merge it with my website.

    Thanks

    Cal Who, Jun 8, 2010

  2. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    " Cal Who" <> wrote in message
    >I want to add a blog to my existing site.
    >
    > I see that there are quite a few free complete blog software kits
    > available.
    >
    > I'd like to try to install one along side my existing website.
    >
    > I'm guessing one way is to combine the Global.asax, default.aspx and
    > web.Config files so that there is only one website entry and the website
    > or blog can then be selected.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there is a simpler way. I'm wondering if I can create a
    > folder in my website and copy the entire blog software, including the
    > files mentioned above, into it. Is it possible to have two, for example,
    > web.config files (in different folders)?
    >
    > I'd appreciate any input, such as a good blog engine to use
    > or how it merge it with my website.
    >
    > Thanks

    This is turning out to be very difficult.
    I put the blog software into a folder under the main folder.
    I combined the web.config files and the Global.asax files into the main
    folder files.
    Moved folders from App-Code into the main folder App-Code.

    But now it can't find some namespace so I'm thinking this isn't going to
    work.

    Can you suggest some way I can add a Blog to my existing website solution
    without me generating my own blog software?

    Thanks

    Cal Who, Jun 9, 2010

  3. Cal Who wrote:
    > Can you suggest some way I can add a Blog to my existing website
    > solution without me generating my own blog software?

    Could you have a separate website, e.g. blog.calwho.com, in addition to
    www.calwho.com, thus avoiding trying to merge them? Just make an entry in
    your DNS settings for blog.calwho.com pointing to the same IP address as
    www.calwho.com and use host headers in IIS to direct it to the correct web
    site.

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew Morton, Jun 10, 2010
  4. Cal Who

    Cal Who Guest

    I buy from a host. I'd rather not pay for two.

    I think what you are saying is for someone who has his own server.
    Is that correct or can I also do that?

    Thanks
    ..

    Cal Who, Jun 10, 2010
  5. Cal Who wrote:
    > I buy from a host. I'd rather not pay for two.
    >
    > I think what you are saying is for someone who has his own server.
    > Is that correct or can I also do that?

    Well, it depends on what's in the package you bought. Is it purely
    www.example.com or all of example.com and some sort of access to the DNS
    records and server config through some sort of control panel? It'll be a
    case of looking at the docs from your hosting company.

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew Morton, Jun 10, 2010