Best way to present buttons to page links

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tp_michele_jones@hotmail.com, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    This is what I've done, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions
    on a better way. I don't like the fact that I can't control the spaces
    between the buttons very well.

    <form method="link" action="founders.asp"><input type="submit"
    style="width:281px;height:23px" Value="Vancliffen Arts Foundation
    Founders">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</form>

    <form method="link" action="examprogramI.asp"><input type="submit"
    style="width:281px;height:23px" Value="Vancliffen International
    Examination Programs">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</form>

    <form method="link" action="donationpledge.asp"><input type="submit"
    style="width:281px;height:23px" Value="Pledge A
    Donation">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</form></td>

    <form method="link" action="2005winners.asp">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<input
    type="submit" style="width:281px;height:23px" Value="Winners of the
    2005 Audition Competition"></form>

    <form method="link"
    action="danceprogramsI.asp">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<input type="submit"
    style="width:281px;height:23px" Value="Vancliffen International Dance
    Programs"></form>

    <form method="link" action="DonationByCCI.asp">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<input
    type="submit" style="width:281px;height:23px" Value="Donazioni Via
    Carta Dicredito"></form></td>

    Here's what it looks like http://www.vancliffen.com/italian.asp

    Thanks,

    Michele
    , Apr 13, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > This is what I've done, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions
    > on a better way. I don't like the fact that I can't control the spaces
    > between the buttons very well.
    >
    > <form method="link" action="founders.asp"><input type="submit"
    > style="width:281px;height:23px" Value="Vancliffen Arts Foundation
    > Founders">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</form>

    How about using normal links and then styling them to look like buttons?
    Even better, how about _not_ styling them to look like buttons?
    Leif K-Brooks, Apr 13, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > This is what I've done, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions
    > on a better way. I don't like the fact that I can't control the spaces
    > between the buttons very well.

    Why use forms for links? What data are you submitting? Anyway, change
    them to images, or style a span so that it looks like a button.

    --
    Hywel
    Hywel Jenkins, Apr 13, 2005

    Styling a button is easy for you smart people, but I'm a beginner. I
    can't get the raised effect. Here's what I have:

    ..vcbuttons{
    font-family: verdana, arial, courier;
    font-size:11px;
    line-height:16px;
    color:#000000;
    background-color:#D4D0C8;
    border-style:eek:utset;
    border-color:#000000;
    border-width:4px;
    width:280px;
    border:2px;
    cursor:hand;
    text-decoration:bold;
    }
    <form method="link" action="founders.asp"><input class="vcbuttons"
    type="submit" Value="Vancliffen Arts Foundation Founders"></form>

    I remember seeing a shading option once, but can't find it. Help,
    please.

    Michele
    , Apr 13, 2005
  5. Els Guest

    wrote:

    > Styling a button is easy for you smart people, but I'm a beginner. I
    > can't get the raised effect. Here's what I have:

    [snip]
    > border-style:eek:utset;
    > border-color:#000000;
    > border-width:4px;

    [snip]
    > border:2px;

    [snip]
    > I remember seeing a shading option once, but can't find it. Help,
    > please.

    To get the outset effect, I personally never use 'outset', because
    some browser(s) don't understand what I want (forgot which one though
    - probably IE).
    I'd take the background-color of the button, and give the top and left
    borders of the button a slightly lighter colour, and the bottom and
    right borders a darker one.

    Not sure what you want the 'border:2px' to do if you already stated
    'border-width:4px' though. Won't have any effect afaics.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Steve Pugh Guest

    wrote:

    >Styling a button is easy for you smart people, but I'm a beginner. I
    >can't get the raised effect. Here's what I have:

    >border-style:eek:utset;
    >border-color:#000000;
    >border-width:4px;

    >border:2px;

    border: 2px; is the same as setting

    border-style: none;
    border-color: [same as color];
    border-width: 2px;

    so you've overwritten the individual border- properties that you've
    set earlier. What do you actually want the border to be?

    >I remember seeing a shading option once, but can't find it.

    There's a full list of CSS 2.1 properties at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/propidx.html.
    There are other properties in CSS2 or CSS3 but 2.1 gives the best
    chance of actually being supported by browsers at this moment.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Apr 13, 2005

    How about just making a standard windows gray button, like the ones on
    the toolbar at the bottom of the windows screen.
    , Apr 14, 2005
  8. Steve Pugh Guest

    wrote:

    >How about just making a standard windows gray button, like the ones on
    >the toolbar at the bottom of the windows screen.

    Depends on whether you mean WinXP buttons or old style Windows
    buttons.

    Also depends what you're creating them for.

    For real buttons use the appropriate HTML element - <input> of various
    types or <button>.

    For examples of Windows buttons use an image.

    For anything else, forget about copying a particular OS (your users
    will be using a selection of operating systems anyway) and create a
    style that suits your site.

    Steve Pugh, Apr 14, 2005