Best way to proceed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jeff User, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. Jeff User

    Jeff User Guest

    Hello all
    I need to build a web form that will allow user to enter database
    table column definitions. Each row on the form would contain column
    name, data type (chosen from a drop down list), size (if applicable)
    and other wonderful attributes. I will then take this input and build
    a CREATE table statement.

    I am using C# in vs2003, .net 1.1

    I have been reading through several groups here to get ideas, but
    really dont know what would be best.

    One idea is to use a datagrid, that would initially have one empty row
    with blanks or drop down lists as needed in each field (of grid). User
    would fill in each field in grid then start a new (dynamically added)
    row in the grid.

    or another idea is
    present 1 textbox, dropdownlist,etc as needed for describing one table
    column and then when finished filling those in, generate an HTML table
    display showing the new row of information that was just added
    (representing 1 table column), while displaying new empty text
    boxes,etc again to begin creating the next column definition.

    Should be able to have a check box or delte button on each row to
    delete an entry if desired.
    Of course I want it to do everything but not be complicated ;o)

    Any ideas, input, links, (already written code :eek:) )
    is appreciated.
    Jeff
    Jeff User, Dec 7, 2005

  2. Jeff User

    Guest

    I would use a datagrid and an in memory collection of custom objects
    (that have col name, data type, size etc properties).

    Then bind the in memory collection on each post back, doing this allows
    you to use the add, delete, edit command of the datagrid, of course you
    still have to write the logic

    Using the datagrid gives you a structured way of presenting, adding,
    deleting and editing the data, you don't need to think about this your
    self then

    I'm guessing this is for an intranet so I won't go on about security
    issues of this
    , Dec 7, 2005

  3. Why not just buy a web based tool like
    http://www.mylittletools.net/scripts/en/home/

    You could surely tweak the display of
    some of the pages to suite your needs.

    --
    Robbe Morris - 2004/2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    http://robbemorris.blogspot.com

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Dec 7, 2005