Best way to put out a small package for public scrutiny and use?

Kenneth McDonald

I've created a small (and I believe, very useful) package to ease the
creation and use of regular expressions. I'd like to make it available,
(though the first release will be aimed mostly at finalizing
functionality, not at being a polished project.) I don't want to use
SourceForge, as I don't use CVS, and I'm not yet ready (if ever)
to open up my home Subversion server to public access. If this
was just a single file, I'd simply post it in this newsgroup to
start with, but as it incorporates a couple of files, I need to post
the directory somehow. Any thoughts as to the best way to make
this package available?

Thanks,
Ken

Jarek Zgoda

Kenneth McDonald said:
I've created a small (and I believe, very useful) package to ease the
creation and use of regular expressions. I'd like to make it available,
(though the first release will be aimed mostly at finalizing
functionality, not at being a polished project.) I don't want to use
SourceForge, as I don't use CVS, and I'm not yet ready (if ever)
to open up my home Subversion server to public access. If this
was just a single file, I'd simply post it in this newsgroup to
start with, but as it incorporates a couple of files, I need to post
the directory somehow. Any thoughts as to the best way to make
this package available?

Announce here and there (various vikis come to mind, also Parnassus
had such category at some time), make simple webpage explaining what
this code does and put the package there. They will find you.

Greg Krohn

Kenneth said:
I've created a small (and I believe, very useful) package to ease the
creation and use of regular expressions. I'd like to make it available,
(though the first release will be aimed mostly at finalizing
functionality, not at being a polished project.) I don't want to use
SourceForge, as I don't use CVS, and I'm not yet ready (if ever)
to open up my home Subversion server to public access. If this
was just a single file, I'd simply post it in this newsgroup to
start with, but as it incorporates a couple of files, I need to post
the directory somehow. Any thoughts as to the best way to make
this package available?

Thanks,
Ken

zip file, tarball?

SeeBelow

Kenneth said:
I've created a small (and I believe, very useful) package to ease the
creation and use of regular expressions. I'd like to make it available,
(though the first release will be aimed mostly at finalizing
functionality, not at being a polished project.) I don't want to use
SourceForge, as I don't use CVS, and I'm not yet ready (if ever)
to open up my home Subversion server to public access. If this
was just a single file, I'd simply post it in this newsgroup to
start with, but as it incorporates a couple of files, I need to post
the directory somehow. Any thoughts as to the best way to make
this package available?

You can release files on SourceForge without using CVS. We do it all
the time. You can just collect all the files into a .zip and then
upload it. The public can then download the zip file.

I will help you with SF usage if you need help.

Mitchell Timin

--
"Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in
pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays.
Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at shaw dot ca