Best Way to Retrieve XML From Remote Class?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jim Bayers, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Jim Bayers

    Jim Bayers Guest

    What's the best way to retrive xml from a remote class?

    Here's my situation. All the servers are running Win2003. There's a
    web server on Public. There's a sql server on Campus. The only access
    we have to Campus is through Secure.

    -----------------
    | Campus |
    -----------------

    -----------------
    | Secure |
    -----------------

    -----------------
    | Public |
    -----------------

    Somebody pointed me to a msdn article

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-
    us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT15.asp

    And I've got that up and running. Right now, I can access the remote
    class on Secure through a web service running on Secure. Our net nazi
    won't let us put a web server on Secure.

    What we want is the user to enter in a few variables on a form on
    Public's webserver, send the variables to Secure, have the remote object
    on Secure query the database on Campus and then send the data back to
    the Public.

    What's the best way? Can I pass a dataset?

    Jim Bayers, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Jim Bayers

    Ken Kolda Guest

    Is it a web service that's running on Secure or a Windows Service that's
    running and hosting a remoted object? A .NET web service generally runs
    under IIS but you indicated that Secure doesn't have a web server (plus, the
    article you posted is about creating a Windows Service, not a Web Service).

    If you're using a Windows Service to host an object using remoting, then
    passing a DataSet from the service to the client is certainly acceptable.
    Your remote object would look something like:

    public class RemoteObject : MarshalByRefObject
    {
    public DataSet GetSomeData(int someParam, string anotherParam)
    {
    // Get the data from the database and return the data set

    The main issue you have to watch out for is that the DataSet is fairly
    inefficient when it comes to being serialized/deserialized, so if you're
    passing large amounts of data or making lots of calls, you may want to
    consider either an alternate representation or one of the pieces of code out
    there to improve the performance of the DataSet:

    http://objectsharp.com/Blogs/datasetfaq/archive/2004/06/10/614.aspx

    Ken

    Ken Kolda, Nov 16, 2004