Best way to send SOAP requests from IE client pages - WebService HTC?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cory, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Cory

    Cory Guest

    I'm trying to find the best way to communicate between an IE-viewed
    HTML page and a .NET Web Service. The only option that seems feasible
    for my needs is the WebService.htc behavior provided by Microsoft.
    However, this component is unsupported by MS...I would assume because:
    1.) There have been a number of reports of IE memory leaks caused by
    it, and 2.) The SOAP Toolkit has been deprecated by the .NET
    Framework.

    With that said, is there any hope of Microsoft releasing an update for
    an unsupported component? :) Or, is the fact that it's unsupported
    indicative that a better web-client-Web-Service-communication-widget
    is either already in existence or on the way, say with the 2.0
    Framework? Are there any third-party solutions out there which can
    support synchronous method calls and don't require ActiveX controls or
    Java applets?

    It's hard to believe in the midst of the current Web Services frenzy
    that there's no bulletproof solution for allowing a web page to make
    its own SOAP calls.

    Cory, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Cory

    bruce barker Guest

    Its actually worse, the lastest security updates for IE disable HTTPXml, the
    component the web behavior was based on. As IE is "mature" product I would
    not expect any SOAP support to be added to it. This may be addressesd in the
    next major OS release, but that is years away.

    Your only options now, are Netscape/Mozilla (which has SOAP support builtin)
    or using Flash (which also has SOAP builtin).

    For IE your only non active/x control option is the hidden frame trick.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Feb 19, 2004

  3. I haven't heard anything about disabling XMLHTTP-- is there documentation
    about this somewhere?

    --
    Thanks,

    Eric Lawrence