Best way to serve Python Web Pages?

Discussion in 'Python' started by scott, May 3, 2004.

  1. scott

    scott Guest

    In everyone's humble opinion, what do you think would be the best way
    to serve web pages using the Python Language?

    For example, would it be an Apache/MySQL/Python, Zope, or homebrewed
    approach?

    My personal requirements would include:

    1. Relatively easy to program
    2. Lot's of resources/ examples that I can leverage to reduce
    development time.
    3. Something that I can administer easily and teach other people to
    manage.
    4. Low cost and Open Source.
    5. Something that is portable across various OS's.
    6. Something relatively compact.

    Is it smart to compartmentalize an application by using the
    Apache/MySQL/Python approach? Or is it better to keep it all under
    one roof via the Zope approach?

    Just curious to see how other people are building web applications
    using Python.

    Thank you,

    Scott

    scott, May 3, 2004

  2. scott

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I will give an unpopular answer and say that Python's main advantage
    over PHP in web applications is Python's superiority as a programming
    language for implementing complex projects. Python has considerable
    disadvantages in the areas you're asking about (ease of programming,
    lots of examples, lots of people who know how to use it, ease of
    administration, etc.) but if you're doing something big and
    complicated, you have to overcome all those other kinds of issues
    anyway, so you win by using Python. However, it sounds like you're
    doing something relatively lightweight, in which case those
    disadvantages start to weigh on you. You may be better off using PHP.

    Paul Rubin, May 3, 2004

  3. scott

    Lutz Horn Guest

    Hi,

    * scott <> [3 May 2004 09:57:40 -0700]:
    > In everyone's humble opinion, what do you think would be the best way
    > to serve web pages using the Python Language?

    I'd recommend CherryPy[1]. It has all the characteristics you mentioned.

    Lutz

    [1] http://www.cherrypy.org/
    --
    http://piology.org/ILOVEYOU-Signature-FAQ.html