Best way to share a python list of objects

kyle.tk

So I have a central list of python objects that I want to be able to
share between different process that are possibly on different
computers on the network. Some of the processes will add objects to
list and another process will be a GUI that will view objects in the
list. I want this all to happen in real-time (e.g once a processes adds
an object to the list the GUI will see it.)

What would be the best way to accomplish this. Some of my ideas:
- An XML file r/w-able by all processes
- Send pickled objects between all processes and each keeps it own list
locally
- A ascii type protocol akin to ftp the hands out all the info to the
processes

Any other ideas? What would work the best

George Sakkis

kyle.tk said:
So I have a central list of python objects that I want to be able to
share between different process that are possibly on different
computers on the network. Some of the processes will add objects to
list and another process will be a GUI that will view objects in the
list. I want this all to happen in real-time (e.g once a processes adds
an object to the list the GUI will see it.)

What would be the best way to accomplish this. Some of my ideas:
- An XML file r/w-able by all processes
- Send pickled objects between all processes and each keeps it own list
locally
- A ascii type protocol akin to ftp the hands out all the info to the
processes

Any other ideas? What would work the best

If all the processes are python, I would check Pyro first: http://pyro.sourceforge.net/.

George

Magnus Lycka

kyle.tk said:
So I have a central list of python objects that I want to be able to
share between different process that are possibly on different
computers on the network. Some of the processes will add objects to
list and another process will be a GUI that will view objects in the
list. I want this all to happen in real-time (e.g once a processes adds
an object to the list the GUI will see it.)

What would be the best way to accomplish this. Some of my ideas:
- An XML file r/w-able by all processes
- Send pickled objects between all processes and each keeps it own list
locally
- A ascii type protocol akin to ftp the hands out all the info to the
processes

Any other ideas? What would work the best

Relational database are useful for sharing data in a controlled way.
A better option for arbirary Python objects might be ZODB with ZEO.

http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage
http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FrontPage/guide/index.html