beta.python.org content

Rinzwind

I am not a design professional but since you didn't ask for
professionals but for beginners ;-) ...

- At the left hand side you used abbreviations (like PSF). Using the
full name says more about the option.
- I don't like capitals alot either (as used in the menu).
- The corporate look of the site might be something I need getting used
too.
- And I think the top part needs some nice images. Just python and logo
is taking up too much space for what it shows.

But it's a good change compared to the old site. That one was way too
ascii ;-)

Peter Maas

Steve said:

I like it :) Some minor points:

- The logo does indeed resemble a cross. How about rotating it at 45 deg
to make it look like an x? Or give it a circular shape? Please note
that there are no religious motives in this remark :)

- I really liked the different looking Pythons in the logo corner. Couldn't
they find asylum somewhere in the new site?

- I would prefer stronger, less flimsy colours.

But apart from these superficial points: well done :)

Peter Maas, Aachen

Tony Meyer

- The logo does indeed resemble a cross. How about rotating it at
45 deg
to make it look like an x? Or give it a circular shape? Please note
that there are no religious motives in this remark :)

-1. Then what are the motives? A rotated cross looks a lot less
clean. Take a look at the crosses at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Cross - the only ones it vaguely resembles are the Greek cross and
the Red Cross. It certainly doesn't resemble the Christian (longer
upright section) cross, and as the article says, the cross is one of
the oldest symbols in existance.

=Tony.Meyer

Paddy

I find it much better than the current site, thank you!

Whilst reading, http://beta.python.org/about/ I had some slight
niggles.
What do you think about the following changes?

About Python

Python is an agile programming language often compared to Tcl, Perl,
Ruby, Scheme or Java. While it has much in common with them it also has
unique features that set it apart.

* remarkable power with very clear syntax
* fully modular, with modules in individual files,
or packages: a hierarchical arrangement of modules
for larger projects.
* intuitive object orientation, but also supports a
functional style of programming too.
* exception-based error handling
* very high level dynamic data types that are easy to use.
* interfaces to many system calls and libraries
* access to multiple GUI toolkits (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC,
wxWidgets)
* extensions and modules easily written in C, C++ or Python
* embeddable within applications needing a scripting interface

- Paddy.

Rocco Moretti

Peter said:
- The logo does indeed resemble a cross. How about rotating it at 45 deg
to make it look like an x? Or give it a circular shape? Please note
that there are no religious motives in this remark :)

It looks like a plus sign to me. Do you also advocate renaming "C++" to
"Cxx" or "C (circular shape) (circular shape)"?

Also note that if you made it more of a circular shape, it might
resemble a Ying-Yang symbol, and we would offend the anti-Daoist
programmers. ;-)

(Not that I like the logo, mind you. I just think that "looking like a
cross" is a poor reason to bash it.)

Peter Maas

Tony said:
-1. Then what are the motives?

I don't like the shape. Snakes and right angles - it's a contradiction.
This is just my personal taste.

Peter Maas, Aachen

Claudio Grondi

Peter said:
I don't like the shape. Snakes and right angles - it's a contradiction.
This is just my personal taste.
I don't like the logo as it is, too.
For my taste it is a bit too far away from what I have seen so far of
Python related symbols and reminds too much a cross. It looks very
commercial and has not the _fun_ and _ease_ in it I get used to face
when dealing with Python related icons.
The whole site is just as any other more or less commercial site and
even if it is sure much better than the old one, I will probably miss
the old one if it will go away.

Claudio

James Stroud

Paddy said:
[...]

Maybe:

"Python is an object oriented programming language designed to increase
productivity. Though it is often compared to Perl, Tcl, Ruby, Scheme, or
Java, it has several powerful features that set it apart."

James

James Stroud

Rocco said:
(Not that I like the logo, mind you...)

Does anyone? There has to be a better logo! I thought the previous
requirement as established by the BDFL was no snakes. These are snakes,
and they have no personality to boot.

James Stroud

Claudio said:
It looks very
commercial and has not the _fun_ and _ease_ in it I get used to face
when dealing with Python related icons.
The whole site is just as any other more or less commercial site and
even if it is sure much better than the old one, I will probably miss
the old one if it will go away.

Yes. The home-page especially looks commercial. I'm expecting a
registration screen and some place to agree to the terms and conditions
of use and a checkbox to manually opt-out of mass emailings.

Simple suggestion: Get a snazzy logo on the old site and, voila, you
have the perfect python site.

Carl Banks

Roel said:
Steve Holden schreef:

I think it's OK, apart from the fact that the font size of the text
overrides my browser's default. It looks and reads much better without
the font-size: 75%.

I'll second this. Normally I keep my web browser at a narrow width to
try to keep lines from being too long, but the lines here are a little
too long even with a narrow window.

(In fact, on my sites, I typically use a style such as this: TD {
width: 30em; } to keep the text narrow. But I don't recommend that for
this site because some people want wide text to fit more on the screen,
aesthetic though it be not.)

Other than that, it looks great. I don't think it looks like a
corporate site; it's actually readable and usable. It cuts down on the
sensory overload from the previous site. And, it passes the no-style
litmus test (i.e.,whether you can still read and understand the site
with the style sheets disabled.)

Carl Banks

Michael Tobis

I like the design, though I'd prefer stronger colors. I think it would
be a major improvement except for the logo.

I agree with others that the logo is a serious disappointment. Although
the symmetry has some initial appeal, I do not see or want to see a
two-ness about Python, and I find it disturbing and distracting even
without the vague cruciform aspects. In fact, just keeping the top
snake would be MUCH better.

I want a logo I can be as enthusiastic about as I am about the
language, but it will be hard to get unanimity about that, and I can
certainly see the need to compromise. Still it's my impression that
this one is a big mistake. Unlike, say, the Sun logo which I enjoy
looking at (and of which this is a cheap ripoff), this is like the
Microsoft Office logo, which I find explicitly off-putting, raising
negative associations. I might be convinced that its wrongness will
outweigh all the remaining benefits of the redesign.

Good: http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/PLANET/summer-school-02/sun-logo-new.GIF

Makes you think of cleverness, symmetry, networking, collaboration,
energy. It reinforces my positive feelings toward this company.

Bad: http://www.genbeta.com/archivos/images/logo_office_2003.jpg

Makes you think about petty politics, imbalance, who gets the window
office, injustice, asymmetry, deformity. I detest this logo, and it
reinforces my avoidance of this company.

Bad: http://beta.python.org/images/python-logo.gif

Nice font on the text, but the image raises:

What is that animal? Is it a snake? If it is, why is it so short? Why
are there two of them? Or is it one snake with two heads? Ewww. Why is
one facing backwards and the other upside-down? Is that a crucifix? Why
would someone make a cross out of snakes? These are people to avoid.

Very unsatisfactory, sorry.

mt

Paul Boddie

Michael said:
I like the design, though I'd prefer stronger colors. I think it would
be a major improvement except for the logo.

[Much reasoning about logos, Sun, Microsoft Office...]

With the nice font they've used, I don't understand why they didn't
turn the "p" into a snake itself. I'm sure I've seen that done
somewhere before.

Paul

Steve Holden

Paddy said:
[...]

I decided to go with:

Python is an agile programming language often compared to Tcl, Perl,
Ruby, Scheme or Java.
While it has much in common with them it also has unique features that
set it apart.

* remarkable power with very clear syntax
* full modularity, supporting hierarchical packages
* intuitive object orientation
* natural expression of procedural code
* exception-based error handling
* very high level dynamic data types
* interfaces to many system calls and libraries
* access to multiple GUI toolkits (X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC, wxWidgets)
* extensions and modules easily written in C, C++ or Python
* embeddable within applications needing a scripting interface

Thanks for your remarks. All readers please note we are looking for
editors for this stuff!

regards
Steve

Magnus Lycka

James said:
Maybe:

"Python is an object oriented programming language designed to increase
productivity. Though it is often compared to Perl, Tcl, Ruby, Scheme, or
Java, it has several powerful features that set it apart."

Definitely better. The first text seems to define Python through
comparision, and that doesn't show a lot of confidence for mature
language like Python. (It's one thing if it was much younger than
the others, but it's somewhere in the middle of that group.)

Agile might be a better buzz-word than object oriented though.

Dale Strickland-Clark

Michael said:
I like the design, though I'd prefer stronger colors. I think it would
be a major improvement except for the logo.

<big snip>

So, are you saying you don't like the new logo?

I'm with you. I don't like it either. It looks like a diagram out of the
well known Anguine Kama Sutra.

The new site, however is very nice. Top marks for that.

Kay Schluehr

The new Python site is incredibly boring. Sorry to say this. The old
site is/was amateurish but engaged. Now after ~15 years of existence
Pythons looks like it wants to be popular among directors of a german
job centers. It aims to do everything right but what could be said
worse? The text on the beginners page tries to argue with the potential
users in a pointless monologue. Who wants to read this text? Who wants
to be convinced that Python is *not* slow? "Do you stop beating your
wife?" And where is fun, irony and black humour? Why Python? "Python in
industry" - I see chimneys of 19th century factories, proletarian
heroes as well as futuristic hybrid robots superseeding humanity.
"Python community" - a dutch grand-family photo from the beginning of
the 20ths century - some ( or all? ) of the members are accidentally
looking like Guido, "Python in science" - snake-like RNA strand. It
need not be like this but I wonder about the total lack of personality.

Kay