Beta testers needed - C to Java byte-code compiler/IDE

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by napi, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. napi

    napi Guest

    We are inviting beta testers for our MPC (Multi Platform C)
    compiler/IDE. MPC compiles C programs and generate Java byte-code.
    This allows users to develop platform independent software without
    having to learn or use the Java programming language. The C language
    implemented is a large subset of ANSI C (1989).

    Currently the compiler/IDE only works on the Linux platform but we
    intend to port it to other platforms in the near future.

    Hardware Requirements :
    -Any x86 compatible personal computer/workstation.
    -64MB RAM

    Software Requirements :
    -Linux operating system (any distribution) running kernel 2.4 or above
    -Java SDK 1.5. Either from Sun or Blackdown.
    -Java GNOME 2.6

    If you are interested please send an email to . All your
    email addresses will be kept private and will be used within this company only.

    Thank you.

    Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah
    email: or
    fax: +603-8656-7827
    website: http://www.axiomsol.com

    napi, Sep 23, 2004

  2. napi

    QuantumG Guest

    Can we have details on what subset of c89 you've implemented? I wrote
    a jvm backend for GCC back in '98 and the result was extremely poor
    performance of output. The big problems if I remember correctly were:

    * implementing pointers sensibly is hard
    * the JVM's lack of unsigned types makes compiling C code with
    unsigned types in it very inefficient (you need to boost all those
    unsigned 32 bit types to signed 64 bit ones to get anywhere)
    * doing a sensible class division is hard, so you end up with a
    few large classes instead of a lot of small classes, and the JVM isn't
    optimised for this.

    Of course, if you're changing the JVM in any way or making your own
    JIT that is closely tied to patterns in your code generation then
    you're just cheating :)

    QuantumG, Sep 25, 2004