Beta to offical

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Currently using VS 2003 on .Net 1.1 and I currently don’t have SQL Server (I
    know its cheap)

    Sitting on my desk is VS 2005 beta 2 and SQL 2005 beta 2.

    I am starting a brand new website and I really want to use the Community
    Starter Kit to do so only from what I have read, I need SQL on my local
    machine for it to work. Now I have SQL 2005 beta but installing that means
    installing everything .Net 2.0 related. I don’t have a problem buying SQL
    2000 just to get my app started but it seems retarded to start something new
    on an old platform.

    My concern is that if I upgrade everything to beta 2 when the official
    release comes out my apps will not work because I am sure they are not
    concerned with backward compatibility with beta 2 as they are for .Net 1.1
    /1.0 and I am sure web hosting sites will hurry to kill ASP.NET beta and move
    to 2.0.

    So…do I start making my web app in beta 2, wait a few weeks, or suck it up
    and make it all 1.1? This is my dilemma. Additional concern is the fact that
    my current version of VS 2003 is an academic version and given I am no longer
    enrolled I might have to wait awhile before getting another academic version
    of VS 2005.

    Suggestions?
    =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=, Oct 27, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

    AF Guest

    > Suggestions?
    My suggestion: go with your 1.1 version then in a few months, after the
    first patches and fixes you'll maybe decide to upgrade.

    If you're not involved into any technologic reviewing such as being a
    technicall writer or consultant, there's no real need to immediatly go for
    version 2. The web is currently 1.1, not version 2 , yet ; )

    Antonio
    http://www.futureblogs.net/antonio
    AF, Oct 27, 2005