    can sum1 please explain.
    any facts would be appreciated

    Abishek

    riku, Apr 19, 2006

  2. riku

    Guest

    riku 写é“:

    > what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    > Beta, etc.
    > what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
    > it asks download Beta version.
    >
    > can sum1 please explain.
    > any facts would be appreciated
    >
    > Abishek

    beta means now the software is undering public test.

    , Apr 19, 2006

  3. "riku" <> writes:

    > what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    > Beta, etc.
    > what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
    > it asks download Beta version.

    Beta is a software versioning term:

    Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
    enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
    enough to report bugs as they are found.

    Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
    public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

    Gold is generally considered as perfect as a program can get before
    shipping (pressing cd's, putting on shelves), although there are
    generally unfound bugs still lurking somewhere to be found by the
    general public after release.

    > can sum1 please explain.
    > any facts would be appreciated

    No facts, just how the terms are used in the industry.

    --
    burton samograd kruhft .at. gmail
    kruhft.blogspot.com www.myspace.com/kruhft metashell.blogspot.com

    Burton Samograd, Apr 19, 2006
  4. riku

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    riku wrote:
    > what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    > Beta, etc.
    > what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
    > it asks download Beta version.
    >
    > can sum1 please explain.
    > any facts would be appreciated
    >
    > Abishek

    Someone is trying to lure you into testing his
    software,without paying you for the work. -)-)-)-)

    Sjouke Burry, Apr 19, 2006
  5. riku

    Mark Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 22:23:15 -0600, Burton Samograd wrote:

    > "riku" <> writes:
    >
    >> what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    >> Beta, etc.
    >> what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
    >> it asks download Beta version.

    > Beta is a software versioning term:
    >
    > Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
    > enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
    > enough to report bugs as they are found.
    >
    > Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
    > public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

    I always thought it was the other way around, first alpha then beta.
    And aparently I'm not the only one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage

    Regards,
    Mark.

    Mark, Apr 19, 2006
  6. riku

    Guest

    I think Mark is right, after software is developed, it is first tested
    by the software testing team, i.e. the testing is done in the
    development environment. Then the software is relased to the users, to
    know the errors as perceived by the future users of the software, i.e.
    beta testing is done at the site of the customer. Thus the Beta version
    of a software is a free version released to get a view of the errors
    that could be encountered when the software will be later used by the
    customers!!

    , Apr 19, 2006
  7. riku wrote:
    > what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    > Beta, etc. what exactly does it stand for and what is it?

    Just a catchy label usually used for software that is almost finished,
    but deemed good enough for users to try out, and beat out as many
    remaining bugs as possible. Different organisations use it for software
    indifferent states of maturity. Read it as "use at your own risk".

    > can sum1 please explain.

    It seems that you failed to attract attention of the person going by
    the nick of "sum1".

    Vladimir S. Oka, Apr 19, 2006
  8. riku wrote:
    > what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    > Beta, etc.
    > what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
    > it asks download Beta version.
    >
    > can sum1 please explain.
    > any facts would be appreciated
    >
    > Abishek

    Today I've learned that if you post something so offtopic that it is
    unbelievable, you get legible answers. Huh.

    This post does not belong in comp.lang.c. Someone with your grammatical
    skill does not belong on the internet.

    And if you used Google's interface to post this, that's just sad.

    Anyway, you've been told what 'beta' actually means. I'm impressed.

    Andrew Poelstra, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Andrew Poelstra wrote:
    > riku wrote:
    > > what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    > > Beta, etc.
    > > what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
    > > it asks download Beta version.
    > >
    > > can sum1 please explain.
    > > any facts would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Abishek
    > >

    > Today I've learned that if you post something so offtopic that it is
    > unbelievable, you get legible answers. Huh.

    Haven't you heard that it's Usenet Benevolence Week?

    > This post does not belong in comp.lang.c.

    True.

    > Someone with your grammatical skill does not belong on the internet.

    Now you're being unnecessarily harsh. Especially so, as it's quite
    likely that Abishek's English is non-native language.

    Now, if you wanted to comment on childish abrvs like "sum1", that's
    different.

    > And if you used Google's interface to post this, that's just sad.

    And why, if I may ask? I do it every day from the office, and still
    manage to do it right. Am I sad as well?

    > Anyway, you've been told what 'beta' actually means. I'm impressed.

    Glad to hear it.

    Vladimir S. Oka, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Vladimir S. Oka wrote:
    >> Someone with your grammatical skill does not belong on the internet.

    > Now you're being unnecessarily harsh. Especially so, as it's quite
    > likely that Abishek's English is non-native language.
    >
    > Now, if you wanted to comment on childish abrvs like "sum1", that's
    > different.

    Predicted that comment, but you added the "sum1" reference, which was my
    original point. General poor grammar I have no real problem with (other
    than capitalizing the first letter of each sentence, which should be
    common sense after two days online) (but isn't thanks to leetspeak and
    other such nonsense).
    >> And if you used Google's interface to post this, that's just sad.

    > And why, if I may ask? I do it every day from the office, and still
    > manage to do it right. Am I sad as well?

    No, you do it properly. However, if you used the words "sum1",
    statistically you would not be using it properly.

    And by statistically, I do mean 'stereotypically' just so that I don't
    get caught on that point as well.
    >> Anyway, you've been told what 'beta' actually means. I'm impressed.

    > Glad to hear it.

    *smiles*

    Andrew Poelstra, Apr 19, 2006
  11. Burton Samograd wrote:
    [...]
    > Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
    > enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
    > enough to report bugs as they are found.
    >
    > Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
    > public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

    I think you have that backwards. Alpha testing is what occurs in-house
    prior to a beta release to a wider audience.

    > Gold is generally considered as perfect as a program can get before
    > shipping (pressing cd's, putting on shelves), although there are
    > generally unfound bugs still lurking somewhere to be found by the
    > general public after release.

    Well, "gold" usually refers to the actual release version. Whether
    this qualifies as "as perfect as a program can get before shipping"
    depends on the shipper. :)

    [...]

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Apr 19, 2006
  12. riku

    Al Balmer Guest

    On 18 Apr 2006 22:23:15 -0600, Burton Samograd
    <> wrote:

    >"riku" <> writes:
    >
    >> what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
    >> Beta, etc.
    >> what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
    >> it asks download Beta version.

    >Beta is a software versioning term:
    >
    >Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
    >enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
    >enough to report bugs as they are found.
    >
    >Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
    >public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

    No, alpha is a buggy version released before beta.

    Beta software doesn't have to have known bugs. In my current job, we
    go beta when we can't find more bugs in testing. Clients can provide a
    much more varied test environment, and often use the software in ways
    that we hadn't though of.

    >Gold is generally considered as perfect as a program can get before
    >shipping (pressing cd's, putting on shelves), although there are
    >generally unfound bugs still lurking somewhere to be found by the
    >general public after release.
    >
    >> can sum1 please explain.
    >> any facts would be appreciated

    >No facts, just how the terms are used in the industry.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Apr 19, 2006