BETA

riku

what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
Beta, etc.
what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
it asks download Beta version.

can sum1 please explain.
any facts would be appreciated

Abishek

xinlin.zhang

riku 写é“:
what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
Beta, etc.
what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
it asks download Beta version.

can sum1 please explain.
any facts would be appreciated

Abishek

beta means now the software is undering public test.

Burton Samograd

riku said:
what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
Beta, etc.
what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
it asks download Beta version.

Beta is a software versioning term:

Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
enough to report bugs as they are found.

Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

Gold is generally considered as perfect as a program can get before
shipping (pressing cd's, putting on shelves), although there are
generally unfound bugs still lurking somewhere to be found by the
general public after release.
can sum1 please explain.
any facts would be appreciated

No facts, just how the terms are used in the industry.

Sjouke Burry

riku said:
what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
Beta, etc.
what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
it asks download Beta version.

can sum1 please explain.
any facts would be appreciated

Abishek
Someone is trying to lure you into testing his
software,without paying you for the work. -)-)-)-)

Mark

Beta is a software versioning term:

Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
enough to report bugs as they are found.

Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

I always thought it was the other way around, first alpha then beta.
And aparently I'm not the only one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage

Regards,
Mark.

sweety.rathore

I think Mark is right, after software is developed, it is first tested
by the software testing team, i.e. the testing is done in the
development environment. Then the software is relased to the users, to
know the errors as perceived by the future users of the software, i.e.
beta testing is done at the site of the customer. Thus the Beta version
of a software is a free version released to get a view of the errors
that could be encountered when the software will be later used by the
customers!!

Vladimir S. Oka

riku said:
what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
Beta, etc. what exactly does it stand for and what is it?

Just a catchy label usually used for software that is almost finished,
but deemed good enough for users to try out, and beat out as many
remaining bugs as possible. Different organisations use it for software
indifferent states of maturity. Read it as "use at your own risk".
can sum1 please explain.

It seems that you failed to attract attention of the person going by
the nick of "sum1".

Andrew Poelstra

riku said:
what does Beta mean, i hear it all the time such as MSN Beta, LimeWire
Beta, etc.
what exactly does it stand for and what is it?
it asks download Beta version.

can sum1 please explain.
any facts would be appreciated

Abishek

Today I've learned that if you post something so offtopic that it is
unbelievable, you get legible answers. Huh.

This post does not belong in comp.lang.c. Someone with your grammatical
skill does not belong on the internet.

And if you used Google's interface to post this, that's just sad.

Anyway, you've been told what 'beta' actually means. I'm impressed.

Vladimir S. Oka

Andrew said:
Today I've learned that if you post something so offtopic that it is
unbelievable, you get legible answers. Huh.

Haven't you heard that it's Usenet Benevolence Week?
This post does not belong in comp.lang.c.
True.

Someone with your grammatical skill does not belong on the internet.

Now you're being unnecessarily harsh. Especially so, as it's quite
likely that Abishek's English is non-native language.

Now, if you wanted to comment on childish abrvs like "sum1", that's
different.
And if you used Google's interface to post this, that's just sad.

And why, if I may ask? I do it every day from the office, and still
manage to do it right. Am I sad as well?
Anyway, you've been told what 'beta' actually means. I'm impressed.

Glad to hear it.

Andrew Poelstra

Vladimir said:
Now you're being unnecessarily harsh. Especially so, as it's quite
likely that Abishek's English is non-native language.

Now, if you wanted to comment on childish abrvs like "sum1", that's
different.
Predicted that comment, but you added the "sum1" reference, which was my
original point. General poor grammar I have no real problem with (other
than capitalizing the first letter of each sentence, which should be
common sense after two days online) (but isn't thanks to leetspeak and
other such nonsense).
And why, if I may ask? I do it every day from the office, and still
manage to do it right. Am I sad as well?
No, you do it properly. However, if you used the words "sum1",
statistically you would not be using it properly.

And by statistically, I do mean 'stereotypically' just so that I don't
get caught on that point as well.
Glad to hear it.
*smiles*

Kenneth Brody

Burton Samograd wrote:
[...]
Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
enough to report bugs as they are found.

Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

I think you have that backwards. Alpha testing is what occurs in-house
prior to a beta release to a wider audience.
Gold is generally considered as perfect as a program can get before
shipping (pressing cd's, putting on shelves), although there are
generally unfound bugs still lurking somewhere to be found by the
general public after release.

Well, "gold" usually refers to the actual release version. Whether
this qualifies as "as perfect as a program can get before shipping"
depends on the shipper. :)

[...]

Al Balmer

Beta is a software versioning term:

Beta is usually a testing version, known to have bugs but stable
enough for use by a general limited public which will be reliable
enough to report bugs as they are found.

Alpha is what is released after Beta, which is almost bug free after
public beta testing, not quite perfect, but getting there.

No, alpha is a buggy version released before beta.Beta software doesn't have to have known bugs. In my current job, we
go beta when we can't find more bugs in testing. Clients can provide a
much more varied test environment, and often use the software in ways
that we hadn't though of.