better and user friendly IDE recommended?

mnish1984

Hey i am a programmer but new to python. Can anyone guide me in knowing which is a better IDE used to develop web related apps that connect to DB using python?

Joshua Landau

(e-mail address removed) writes:

My main advice: Avoid non-free (that is, proprietary) software for your
development tools. Learning a set of development tools is a significant
investment, and you should not tie that investment to a single vendor;
if they lose interest for whatever reason, your investment is stranded.

If the time learning a set of tools is enough to make the choice
between tools, I suggest avoiding, say, Vim.

I find that going for whatever makes you most productive is more
important than trying to minimise the learning time. Most software is
much easier to learn that Vim, if you have to replace it after 10
years or not.

YMMV.

Paul Pittlerson

Hey i am a programmer but new to python. Can anyone guide me in knowing which is a better IDE used to develop web related apps that connect to DB using python?

If you are a programmer in the sense that you are a proficient in something like
C or Java, then whatever development environment you used for that type of coding
will surely work just as well for writing python scripts.

But to answer your question: If you want something modern and fresh, maybe give
Sublime Text a try. Personally, my favorite is Geany, because it has all the
functionality and customization I want from an editor, but is not very bloated.

Wayne Werner

Better to learn these once, in a single powerful tool that can be
maintained independent of any one vendor for as long as its community is
interested.

And if you're a developer, even a community of one is enough ;)

-W

Paul Rudin

Joshua Landau said:
If the time learning a set of tools is enough to make the choice
between tools, I suggest avoiding, say, Vim.

That's a big if.

If you expect to spend a lot of time editing text, code, etc. over the
next few years then it's definitely learning at least one of vim or
emacs to a reasonable degree of competency.

Veritatem Ignotam

Is this thread going to evolve into your classic vim vs. emacs, sweet!

Also, Paul is completely right.

V.I.

Joe Junior

Is this thread going to evolve into your classic vim vs. emacs, sweet!

Who doesn't love those? ;-)

That's a big if.

If you expect to spend a lot of time editing text, code, etc. over the
next few years then it's definitely learning at least one of vim or
emacs to a reasonable degree of competency.

I kinda disagree. Though I use and love emacs as my main editor,
simple things you take for granted in modern editors are simply not
there, and you end up spending some precious time finding out how to
have it (like a right-margin marker). Of course that's not a real
issue, since in the end you'll have everything and much more after
configuring and saving your .emacs in the cloud so everything is
always to your liking.

But then comes another problem: we don't live in a bubble. If you'll
ever have to use another programmer's box, you're screwed (That's why
I avoid getting used to non-standard packages).

Not to mention the mental switch. Not everything I need to use has
emacs-binding (I guess the same is true for vim-binding) and, most of
the time, the binding sucks anyway.

But the point I really disagree is that typing/editing speed impacts
so much programmer's productivity. In my experience I spend a lot more
time as a programmer (big emphasis on "lot") reading, thinking and
designing then writing code. So I find a good navigation tool more
important.

My solution/suggestion for python: emacs (in cua-mode for me) with Jedi.

Joe

Westley Martínez

Hey i am a programmer but new to python. Can anyone guide me in knowing which is a better IDE used to develop web related apps that connect to DB using python?

I use vim and idle.

Adrián Espinosa

El miércoles, 11 de septiembre de 2013 16:14:04 UTC+2, mnishpsyched escribió:
Hey i am a programmer but new to python. Can anyone guide me in knowing which is a better IDE used to develop web related apps that connect to DB using python?

Hi and welcome.

I suggest you to use IntelliJ IDEA. It has a plugin for Python and Django (web framework). It works flawlessly.

memilanuk

I suggest you to use IntelliJ IDEA. It has a plugin for Python and Django (web framework). It works flawlessly.

If one were inclined to go that route, wouldn't PyCharm typically be a
better choice?

EricF

(web framework). It works flawlessly.

If one were inclined to go that route, wouldn't PyCharm typically be a
better choice?
If you also do Java, IntelliJ Idea may be the better choice, if not, PyCharm.
Idea + the plug in gives you the capabilities of PyCharm.

Eric

Joshua Landau

That's a big if.

If you expect to spend a lot of time editing text, code, etc. over the
next few years then it's definitely learning at least one of vim or
emacs to a reasonable degree of competency.

You misunderstood my argument.

I was trying to say that because people are willing to put the time in
to learn Vim and Emacs, there's already a precedent that the time
spent *isn't* enough to make the choice between tools, and thus the
argument I was responding to was wrong.

rusi

Hey i am a programmer but new to python. Can anyone guide me in knowing which is a better IDE used to develop web related apps that connect to DB using python?

Just saw this

Yeah... scientific programming and web programming are hardly the same :)
Still it might be worth 20 minutes of your time

Martin Schöön

Den 2013-09-17 skrev rusi said:
Just saw this

Yeah... scientific programming and web programming are hardly the same :)
Still it might be worth 20 minutes of your time

I have started testing this. It is early days so too early to pass
judgement.

Anyone out there using Emacs + Python + Orgmode like this?
I might to need ask some questions :)

/Martin

Rustom Mody

Den 2013-09-17 skrev rusi
I have started testing this. It is early days so too early to pass
judgement.
Anyone out there using Emacs + Python + Orgmode like this?
I might to need ask some questions :)

The speaker -- Kitchin -- is quite active on the org mode list.
And a bunch of other babel users. You should try there.
And please do report back your findings!

Martin Schöön

Den 2014-02-14 skrev Rustom Mody said:
The speaker -- Kitchin -- is quite active on the org mode list.
And a bunch of other babel users. You should try there.
And please do report back your findings!

Right. I expected this response. I hoped to keep a cap on the
number of cyberpubs I hang out in :)

And I prefer the usenet above all other alternatives.

OK, I will dive into the Orgmode pond and I will report back but
please be patient. This is a pure spare time activity.

/Martin

Martin Schöön

Den 2014-02-14 skrev Martin Schöön said:
OK, I will dive into the Orgmode pond and I will report back but
please be patient. This is a pure spare time activity.
Here is a first 'report' on this.

First some background on me. My formal programming training dates
back to 1980 and covered Fortran 77 on an IBM mainframe computer.
Later some Pascal and Rocky Mountain Basic was added. I wrote much
of my PhD thesis using vi and LaTeX. Post PhD I used Matlab some
and got exposed to Emacs. I am clearly not a programmer and use
code I write myself very occasionally for supporting my work. I
started to learn Python for fun but have found it useful. All modern
stuff like test drive design, IDEs, object oriented programming
etc are new to me. So now you know why I get things wrong below :)

Until now I have only used Org-mode in an attempt to organize myself.
I have picked up some neat ideas from Bernt Hansen:
http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html
Still my use is very primitive.

Then I came across this thread and the abovementioned talk...

The Orgmode mailing list is a busy place and it seems to me
everyone is very advanced, trying to do things I have problems
fathoming and coding elisp and all. So, I have been lurking and
picking up some ideas on what is possible and I have been
checking them out in the manual and by testing.

My experience of combining Emacs, Orgmode and Python (and
LaTeX) is that it forms a pretty neat system for creating
documented programs, code-enhanced documents and for
Literate programming. Exporting to PDF and 'tangling' code
seems to work as advertised (so far problems have been my
creations). You can have code with or without row numbers.
You can hide code if you only want to show the results in
your exported document.

What you don't get as far as I can see is code completion,
syntax highlighting etc since Emacs is doing this with
respect to Orgmode and not the programming language you
use.

The following two papers have been helpful/inspiring:

"Acive Documets with Org-mode" by Eric Schulte and
Dan Davison, Computing in Science & Engineering,
May/June 2011.

"A Multi-Language Computing Environment for Literate
Programming and Reproducible Research" by Eric Schulte,
Dan Davison, Thomas Dye and Carsten Dominik, Journal
of Statistical Software, January 2012, vol. 46, Issue 3.

/Martin

Michael Weylandt

What you don't get as far as I can see is code completion,
syntax highlighting etc since Emacs is doing this with
respect to Orgmode and not the programming language you
use.

Put

(setq org-src-fontify-natively t)

In your ~/.emacs or ~/.emacs.d/init.el file for syntax highlighting.

To get the 'regular' code editing, move point into a BEGIN_SRC block and type "C-c ' " (Control-C followed by single quote). That will give you your normal python setup in a sub-buffer. Getting Python autocompletion in Emacs is abit tricky, but there are many options.

Michael