Better console for Windows?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brett Hoerner, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. This is a pretty basic, mostly un-python-related question, although I'm
    asking because of Python.

    Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
    in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
    things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
    very few characters.

    Another problem with cmd.com is when I run IPython, if I have an error,
    or tab or anything, I get the speaker beep (ala linux) but I can't find
    a way to turn it off. This is a huge problem because I cannot disable
    my system speaker on my laptop (not even in BIOS like my old one, and
    it's an "error", it bypasses the fact that all my sound is muted in
    Windows) and I get incredibly loud beeps all the time (because I suck)
    which would not be acceptable while I'm coding on the sly in boring
    class.

    Ideas? The only thing I can think of now is using Putty to SSH into a
    machine, no beeps there, and I can resize... but I don't have a machine
    to SSH into, much less one with all the stuff I want on it.

    Thanks in advance.
    Brett

    Brett Hoerner, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Brett Hoerner

    Rune Strand Guest

    Brett Hoerner wrote:

    > Another problem with cmd.com is when I run IPython, if I have an error,
    > or tab or anything, I get the speaker beep (ala linux) but I can't find
    > a way to turn it off. This is a huge problem because I cannot disable
    > my system speaker on my laptop (not even in BIOS like my old one, and
    > it's an "error", it bypasses the fact that all my sound is muted in
    > Windows) and I get incredibly loud beeps all the time (because I suck)
    > which would not be acceptable while I'm coding on the sly in boring
    > class.

    I know that problem... it's extremely annoying!
    Here's one way to solve it;

    1. Start 'Device manager'.
    2. On the menu, click 'View' and check off "Show hidden devices"
    3. Locate 'Beep' 'under Non-Plug and Play Drivers'
    4. Right-click 'Beep', select 'Disable'

    Rune Strand, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Rune Strand wrote:
    > I know that problem... it's extremely annoying!
    > Here's one way to solve it;
    >
    > 1. Start 'Device manager'.
    > 2. On the menu, click 'View' and check off "Show hidden devices"
    > 3. Locate 'Beep' 'under Non-Plug and Play Drivers'
    > 4. Right-click 'Beep', select 'Disable'

    Christ, thanks. When you install Windows it should pop up first thing
    and ask if you want to be annoyed, Y/N.

    Well, that solves my sound problem (thanks again), now if only I could
    stretch the window horizontally. Thats much less of a problem though,
    this is at least usable now.

    Thanks again, Rune

    Brett Hoerner, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Brett Hoerner wrote:
    > This is a pretty basic, mostly un-python-related question, although I'm
    > asking because of Python.
    >
    > Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
    > in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
    > things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
    > very few characters.

    I don't know if you absolutely want a shell, but if what you want is a
    Python interactive prompt, I find PyShell coming with wxPython really
    nice. It has autocompletion and support copy-paste with/without the
    preceding >>>.

    Regards,
    Nicolas

    Nicolas Fleury, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Brett Hoerner

    Benji York Guest

    Brett Hoerner wrote:
    > Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
    > in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
    > things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
    > very few characters.

    To make the console full screen hit Alt-Enter. The same thing makes it
    windowed again. To accommodate very long lines click the "C:\" icon in
    the upper left corner of the window, choose "Properties" and then change
    the "Screen Buffer Size" Width and Height to something more to your liking.

    While you're there I'd recommend turning on "QuickEdit Mode" on the
    "Options" tab. Then you can drag with your left mouse button to select
    an area of text, right click to copy, then right click again to paste.
    --
    Benji York

    Benji York, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Benji York wrote:
    > To make the console full screen hit Alt-Enter. The same thing makes it
    > windowed again. To accommodate very long lines click the "C:\" icon in
    > the upper left corner of the window, choose "Properties" and then change
    > the "Screen Buffer Size" Width and Height to something more to your liking.
    >
    > While you're there I'd recommend turning on "QuickEdit Mode" on the
    > "Options" tab. Then you can drag with your left mouse button to select
    > an area of text, right click to copy, then right click again to paste.

    Thanks very much, not sure why I always missed those. I guess I was
    just frustrated in general. This will make python a lot more
    enjoyable.

    Brett

    Brett Hoerner, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Hi,

    You might want to check out ipyhton.

    http://ipython.scipy.org

    Regards,

    Philippe

    Philippe C. Martin, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Philippe C. Martin wrote:
    > You might want to check out ipyhton.

    I use it. :) I love it. When I meant console I meant the shell app
    that runs any text-based programs. The windows console was giving me
    loud beeps, etc, which I've now fixed.

    Thanks for your reply though,
    Brett

    Brett Hoerner, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Ho!

    I thought the shell commands in ipython (cd, lx ....) might cut it.

    Regards,

    Philippe

    Philippe C. Martin, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Brett Hoerner

    Rune Strand Guest

    Rune Strand, Jun 28, 2005
  11. On 27 Jun 2005 20:13:41 -0700, rumours say that "Brett Hoerner"
    <> might have written:

    >Christ, thanks. When you install Windows it should pop up first thing
    >and ask if you want to be annoyed, Y/N.

    When you agree to the EULA of Windows, you implicitly say yes to "do you
    want to be annoyed"?

    >Well, that solves my sound problem (thanks again), now if only I could
    >stretch the window horizontally. Thats much less of a problem though,
    >this is at least usable now.

    Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
    top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
    Size, Width.
    --
    TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
    "Dear Paul,

    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Jun 28, 2005
  12. [Christos, on widening the Windows Command Prompt]
    > Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
    > top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
    > Size, Width.

    Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
    to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?

    --
    Richie Hindle

    Richie Hindle, Jun 28, 2005
  13. * Brett Hoerner (2005-06-28 03:44 +0100)
    > Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
    > in [...]

    Holy snake, are you running command.com?! Throw away your Windows 3.11
    computer and start using cmd.exe.

    > Another problem with cmd.com is when I run IPython, if I have an error,
    > or tab or anything, I get the speaker beep (ala linux) but I can't find
    > a way to turn it off.

    Use rxvt (Cygwin).

    Thorsten

    Thorsten Kampe, Jun 28, 2005
  14. Brett Hoerner

    Brian Guest

    The alt-enter tip is handy, although I must say on multiple monitors
    it's not so helpful. It full screens all of them (cloned across
    screens), at least on my nVidia card. I'm sure you're all sympathizing
    with my multiple monitor problem ;-)

    Brian, Jun 28, 2005
  15. Brett Hoerner

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jun 2005, Brett Hoerner wrote:

    > Rune Strand wrote:
    >
    > Christ, thanks. When you install Windows it should pop up first thing
    > and ask if you want to be annoyed, Y/N.

    What, and not install if you say no?

    Perhaps your best way to get a proper shell on windows is just to install
    a proper shell; Cygwin (<http://www.cygwin.com/>) has bash, but it also
    installs a bunch of other unixish stuff you might or might not want. This:

    http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/

    looks like a standalone bash, plus ls, mv, cp rm, chmod and less. Here:

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

    you can get various further bits of free software compiled for windows,
    including:

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

    the GNU coreutils, which is the 1% of commands you use 99% of the time.
    bash + coreutils should do nicely. For a mostly complete GNU development
    toolchain, check out MinGW:

    http://www.mingw.org/

    Which, IMHO, is a better solution than Cygwin for general programming.

    tom

    --
    i'm prepared to do anything as long as someone else works out how to do it and gives me simple instructions... -- Sean

    Tom Anderson, Jun 28, 2005
  16. * Richie Hindle (2005-06-28 14:44 +0100)
    > [Christos, on widening the Windows Command Prompt]
    >> Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
    >> top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
    >> Size, Width.

    > Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
    > to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?

    [Shift+PageUp/Down]: rxvt (Cywin). Unfortunately only per page; if you
    want to scroll one line you have to use the scrollbar.

    Thorsten Kampe, Jun 29, 2005
  17. Re: [OT] Better console for Windows?

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:44:21 +0100, rumours say that Richie Hindle
    <> might have written:

    >Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
    >to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?

    This comparison page suggests there is no keyboard shortcut to scroll:

    http://www.xvsxp.com/power_user/terminal/

    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Jul 1, 2005
  18. Brett Hoerner wrote:
    > Is there a different shell I can use (other than cmd.com) to run Python
    > in, where I can full-screen the window (if I pleased), etc? As it is,
    > things that would run far off the right have to be word wrapped after
    > very few characters.

    I have a pretty exotic setup but I like it a lot. I use Konsole with
    Cygwin and the KDE release for Cygwin (that's the only part of KDE that
    I use). I love Konsole's tabbed virtual terminals. You can also get
    tabbed virtual terminals with mrxvt, which isn't quite so heavyweight,
    but Konsole is the most user-friendly terminal I've ever used.

    And on top of that, I run emacs, pull up a shell with M-x shell, and
    then I can run any program I want, including Python and Jython, and
    freely cut and paste between the command line and my editor window.

    As far as the beeps go, I go for any "silent bell" option I can find,
    and pick the "No sounds" theme in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" control
    panel.

    Dave

    Dave Benjamin, Jul 2, 2005
  19. On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:44:21 +0100, Richie Hindle <> wrote:

    >[Christos, on widening the Windows Command Prompt]
    >> Hm... right-click the cmd.exe window's title bar (or click on the
    >> top-left icon, or press Alt-Space), go to Properties, Layout tab, Window
    >> Size, Width.

    >Just to take this thread *completely* off-topic: does anyone know of a way
    >to scroll a Command Prompt window using the keyboard?

    Alt-spacebar, e, l, (uparrow/downarrow)*, Esc
    (lower case L)--^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--does the scrolling. Esc ends the scrolling mode.

    Seems to work for cmd.exe on NT4

    Regards,
    Bengt Richter

    Bengt Richter, Jul 2, 2005
  20. On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 03:55:43 GMT, rumours say that (Bengt
    Richter) might have written:

    >Alt-spacebar, e, l, (uparrow/downarrow)*, Esc
    > (lower case L)--^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^--does the scrolling. Esc ends the scrolling mode.

    Damn! it says Scroll in there in the system menu, doesn't it? Talk
    about blindness...

    >Seems to work for cmd.exe on NT4

    XP too.

    Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou, Jul 2, 2005