    loaded." if you try to both at the same time.
    Does anybody here know how to debug the whole application (Browser
    Javascript and server side VBScript) in one run of the debugger?

    Mike Gale, Sep 10, 2008

  2. Hi Mike,

    As for script debugging, class ASP's vbscript debugging is still
    server-side debugging. While for the browser -side script(client script)
    that's different from server-side classic ASP debugging. You need to follow
    the client script debugging settings. Here is a blog entry on scottgu's
    blog which mentioned this:

    #VS 2008 JavaScript Debugging
    http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/07/19/vs-2008-javascript-debuggi
    ng.aspx

    So generally, in visual studio 2008, for client-side script debugging, you
    can directly drop breakpoint on client-side script and the debugger can
    help you automatically hit it when debugging running.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBHYWxl?= <>
    >Subject: Better debugging of classic ASP with Visual Studio 2008 SP1
    >Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:02:13 -0700

    >VS 2008 initially didn't debug classic ASP.
    >SP1 fixes this in some ways. You can debug if you select the debug option
    >to "Start Without Debugging, then either attach the debugger manually or
    >place a stop directive in the code which ends up doing the same thing.
    >The problem with this is that you can't debug browser side Javascript in

    the

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Sep 10, 2008

  3. Mike Gale

    Mike Gale Guest

    Hi Steven,

    That's not the issue.

    I am able to debug JavaScript on the Browser, ASP.NET and ASP. No problem
    I'm set up.

    The issue I have is that I cannot debug both JavaScript on the browser and
    classic ASP on the server, in the same debug session. (With ASPX I can debug
    server and browser together.)

    I expect there's a setting that enables me to do both together for the
    classic ASP case.

    I'd like to know what the setting / technique is.

    Failing that confirmation that this is not possible would save me spending
    any more hours looking for it.

    Mike Gale, Sep 10, 2008
  4. Mike Gale

    Mike Gale Guest

    I've just had a message from Mikhail Arkhipov who knows all about this
    debugging.

    He confirms that both cannot be debugged in the same session. (Though he
    suggests a macro may be possible that enables that. I have no plans to write
    such a macro myself.)

    Mike Gale, Sep 10, 2008
  5. Thanks for your reply Mike,

    Then, that'll be a limitation of the classic ASP debugging. You may need to
    separate the client-side and server-side debugging process in your case.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .