beware of godaddy!

Discussion in 'HTML' started by charley, Jan 16, 2008.

  1. charley

    charley Guest

    they totally screwed me! my account was linked to an email address i
    have since dropped - so when renewal time came i did not get the
    notice. ok, my bad, my fault - but in the day of spam filters and such
    lots of email gets lost, but these a$$wipes didnt even try to call on
    the phone or email me through my site or send me anything by us mail,
    all addresses and ph. numbers were current. instead - someone working
    within their company told a friend outside (or inside, who knows at
    this point) their company that my domain was about to expire for
    nonpayment, so godaddy allowed this guy to buy my domain for $18.99.

    what an obvious scam! they obviously target an active site just
    barely expired knowing the odds are in their favor that you will be
    desperate to buy it back - for a ransom!! i actually said "so my
    domain is hijacked and i have to pay a ransom to get it back?" and his
    reply: "yes, thats pretty much it, pay me $100 and i'll give it back
    to you". my reply was FVCK YOU i will not do that based on principle
    alone. i would rather change domains. now he has lost his $18.99
    unless he can find another pro photographer with initials DCG. good
    luck, there may be one but i doubt he/she is in deep desire and
    searching for that domain.

    godaddy support actually told me that this typically doesnt happen
    until 60 days, but they hit me at 42 days, another sign of an obvious
    scam. the guys email is @5whole.com - www.5whole.com is parked free
    courtesy of godaddy...hmmmmmm

    there are plenty of other domain registry and hosting sites out there
    doing a great job for less, so in the future avoid godaddy at all
    costs. i found "hostmonster.com" and am back up and running as
    www.outdoorsphotographyusa.com for 1/2 the price as godaddy.

    i will lose some traffic at first and maybe a little business but i
    refuse to give in to domain terrorism!

    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    charley, Jan 16, 2008

  2. charley wrote:
    > they totally screwed me! my account was linked to an email address i
    > have since dropped - so when renewal time came i did not get the
    > notice. ok, my bad, my fault - but in the day of spam filters and such
    > lots of email gets lost, but these a$$wipes didnt even try to call on
    > the phone or email me through my site or send me anything by us mail,
    > all addresses and ph. numbers were current. instead - someone working
    > within their company told a friend outside (or inside, who knows at
    > this point) their company that my domain was about to expire for
    > nonpayment, so godaddy allowed this guy to buy my domain for $18.99.
    >
    > what an obvious scam! they obviously target an active site just
    > barely expired knowing the odds are in their favor that you will be
    > desperate to buy it back - for a ransom!!

    A scam involves deception. You weren't deceived.

    > i actually said "so my
    > domain is hijacked and i have to pay a ransom to get it back?" and his
    > reply: "yes, thats pretty much it, pay me $100 and i'll give it back
    > to you". my reply was FVCK YOU i will not do that based on principle
    > alone.

    Your "principle" is that you're entitled to have an open-ended lock on
    your domain following the expiration of the period for which you had
    paid. There is no such principle.

    > i would rather change domains. now he has lost his $18.99
    > unless he can find another pro photographer with initials DCG. good
    > luck, there may be one but i doubt he/she is in deep desire and
    > searching for that domain.

    Obviously, these people do this because they believe that *in the
    aggregate* they will profit, not because they expect to sell every
    single one of the domains they scoop up.

    > godaddy support actually told me that this typically doesnt happen
    > until 60 days, but they hit me at 42 days, another sign of an obvious
    > scam.

    Again, since no deception was involved, there was no scam at all.

    You got *42 days*? Since they don't even have to give you *one* day, you
    were given an *enormous* amount of leeway, and if after *six weeks*
    following expiration you *still* hadn't renewed your lease on the domain
    name, you have no end of gall to imagine that you have somehow been
    wronged. The degree to which you expect the world to accommodate your
    oversights is well beyond reason.

    > the guys email is @5whole.com - www.5whole.com is parked free
    > courtesy of godaddy...hmmmmmm

    By the way--how is this GoDaddy's fault? They had an unused domain name,
    and someone bought it--just like what happened when *you* bought it.

    > there are plenty of other domain registry and hosting sites out there
    > doing a great job for less, so in the future avoid godaddy at all
    > costs. i found [***] and am back up and running as
    > [***] for 1/2 the price as godaddy.
    >
    > i will lose some traffic at first and maybe a little business but i
    > refuse to give in to domain terrorism!

    Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 16, 2008

  3. charley wrote:

    > there are plenty of other domain registry and hosting sites out there
    > doing a great job for less

    And chances are none of them will "try to call on the phone" when your
    domain name is about to expire either.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 17 days, 23:58.]

    Gnocchi all'Amatriciana al Forno
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/01/15/gnocchi-allamatriciana/

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 17, 2008
  4. On Jan 17, 6:28 am, charley <> wrote:
    > they totally screwed me! my account was linked to an email address i
    > have since dropped - so when renewal time came i did not get the
    > notice. ok, my bad, my fault - but in the day of spam filters and such
    > lots of email gets lost, but these a$$wipes didnt even try to call on
    > the phone or email me through my site or send me anything by us mail,
    > all addresses and ph. numbers were current. instead - someone working
    > within their company told a friend outside (or inside, who knows at
    > this point) their company that my domain was about to expire for
    > nonpayment, so godaddy allowed this guy to buy my domain for $18.99.
    >
    > what an obvious scam! they obviously target an active site just
    > barely expired knowing the odds are in their favor that you will be
    > desperate to buy it back - for a ransom!! i actually said "so my
    > domain is hijacked and i have to pay a ransom to get it back?" and his
    > reply: "yes, thats pretty much it, pay me $100 and i'll give it back
    > to you". my reply was FVCK YOU i will not do that based on principle
    > alone. i would rather change domains. now he has lost his $18.99
    > unless he can find another pro photographer with initials DCG. good
    > luck, there may be one but i doubt he/she is in deep desire and
    > searching for that domain.
    >
    > godaddy support actually told me that this typically doesnt happen
    > until 60 days, but they hit me at 42 days, another sign of an obvious
    > scam. the guys email is @5whole.com -www.5whole.comis parked free
    > courtesy of godaddy...hmmmmmm
    >
    > there are plenty of other domain registry and hosting sites out there
    > doing a great job for less, so in the future avoid godaddy at all
    > costs. i found "hostmonster.com" and am back up and running aswww.outdoorsphotographyusa.comfor 1/2 the price as godaddy.
    >
    > i will lose some traffic at first and maybe a little business but i
    > refuse to give in to domain terrorism!
    >
    > grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

    By the sound of you scathe, your domain seems to be worth more than
    $100 to you... whether you admit it or not.

    Swallow your lump and pay the $100, and be grateful that it is not
    more than $100.

    Disco Octopus, Jan 17, 2008
  5. charley

    Tina Peters Guest