beware of godaddy!

charley

they totally screwed me! my account was linked to an email address i
have since dropped - so when renewal time came i did not get the
notice. ok, my bad, my fault - but in the day of spam filters and such
lots of email gets lost, but these a$$wipes didnt even try to call on
the phone or email me through my site or send me anything by us mail,
all addresses and ph. numbers were current. instead - someone working
within their company told a friend outside (or inside, who knows at
this point) their company that my domain was about to expire for
nonpayment, so godaddy allowed this guy to buy my domain for $18.99.

what an obvious scam! they obviously target an active site just
barely expired knowing the odds are in their favor that you will be
desperate to buy it back - for a ransom!! i actually said "so my
domain is hijacked and i have to pay a ransom to get it back?" and his
reply: "yes, thats pretty much it, pay me $100 and i'll give it back
to you". my reply was FVCK YOU i will not do that based on principle
alone. i would rather change domains. now he has lost his $18.99
unless he can find another pro photographer with initials DCG. good
luck, there may be one but i doubt he/she is in deep desire and
searching for that domain.

godaddy support actually told me that this typically doesnt happen
until 60 days, but they hit me at 42 days, another sign of an obvious
scam. the guys email is @5whole.com - www.5whole.com is parked free
courtesy of godaddy...hmmmmmm

there are plenty of other domain registry and hosting sites out there
doing a great job for less, so in the future avoid godaddy at all
costs. i found "hostmonster.com" and am back up and running as
www.outdoorsphotographyusa.com for 1/2 the price as godaddy.

i will lose some traffic at first and maybe a little business but i
refuse to give in to domain terrorism!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Harlan Messinger

charley said:
they totally screwed me! my account was linked to an email address i
have since dropped - so when renewal time came i did not get the
notice. ok, my bad, my fault - but in the day of spam filters and such
lots of email gets lost, but these a$$wipes didnt even try to call on
the phone or email me through my site or send me anything by us mail,
all addresses and ph. numbers were current. instead - someone working
within their company told a friend outside (or inside, who knows at
this point) their company that my domain was about to expire for
nonpayment, so godaddy allowed this guy to buy my domain for $18.99.

what an obvious scam! they obviously target an active site just
barely expired knowing the odds are in their favor that you will be
desperate to buy it back - for a ransom!!

A scam involves deception. You weren't deceived.
i actually said "so my
domain is hijacked and i have to pay a ransom to get it back?" and his
reply: "yes, thats pretty much it, pay me $100 and i'll give it back
to you". my reply was FVCK YOU i will not do that based on principle
alone.

Your "principle" is that you're entitled to have an open-ended lock on
your domain following the expiration of the period for which you had
paid. There is no such principle.
> i would rather change domains. now he has lost his $18.99
unless he can find another pro photographer with initials DCG. good
luck, there may be one but i doubt he/she is in deep desire and
searching for that domain.

Obviously, these people do this because they believe that *in the
aggregate* they will profit, not because they expect to sell every
single one of the domains they scoop up.
godaddy support actually told me that this typically doesnt happen
until 60 days, but they hit me at 42 days, another sign of an obvious
scam.

Again, since no deception was involved, there was no scam at all.

You got *42 days*? Since they don't even have to give you *one* day, you
were given an *enormous* amount of leeway, and if after *six weeks*
following expiration you *still* hadn't renewed your lease on the domain
name, you have no end of gall to imagine that you have somehow been
wronged. The degree to which you expect the world to accommodate your
oversights is well beyond reason.
the guys email is @5whole.com - www.5whole.com is parked free
courtesy of godaddy...hmmmmmm

By the way--how is this GoDaddy's fault? They had an unused domain name,
and someone bought it--just like what happened when *you* bought it.
there are plenty of other domain registry and hosting sites out there
doing a great job for less, so in the future avoid godaddy at all
costs. i found [***] and am back up and running as
[***] for 1/2 the price as godaddy.

i will lose some traffic at first and maybe a little business but i
refuse to give in to domain terrorism!

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Toby A Inkster

charley said:
there are plenty of other domain registry and hosting sites out there
doing a great job for less

And chances are none of them will "try to call on the phone" when your
domain name is about to expire either.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 17 days, 23:58.]

Gnocchi all'Amatriciana al Forno
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/01/15/gnocchi-allamatriciana/

Disco Octopus

[...]

By the sound of you scathe, your domain seems to be worth more than
$100 to you... whether you admit it or not.

Swallow your lump and pay the $100, and be grateful that it is not
more than $100.