beyond html and css

David Graham

Hi
I am now happy with my html and css or at least happier, it's a bit
embarrassing that it has taken me years before I could say that, I guess I'm
a slow learner. Now I would like to make web sites that sell things - so I
want to be able to take credit cards and paypal. I need shopping trollies
and all that. I would like to know if I am at the bottom of another steep
learning curve or do members of this ng use some third party software to
have it all done for them. Also, I'm looking for a suitable host, what do I
need to look out for in a host server considering I want e-commerce.
many thanks
David

cwdjrxyz

David said:
Hi
I am now happy with my html and css or at least happier, it's a bit
embarrassing that it has taken me years before I could say that, I guess I'm
a slow learner. Now I would like to make web sites that sell things - so I
want to be able to take credit cards and paypal. I need shopping trollies
and all that. I would like to know if I am at the bottom of another steep
learning curve or do members of this ng use some third party software to
have it all done for them. Also, I'm looking for a suitable host, what do I
need to look out for in a host server considering I want e-commerce.

Some like to start out using an eBay , Yahoo, or other web store plans.
Their programs are much easier to use than doing everything yourself
from scratch. Of course they may cost you a bit more than if you do
everything yourself.

If you want to do everything yourself, find a host that caters to small
business. A good one to start with will have to offer secure pages, and
many include something such as a Ecommerce shopping cart installed and
ready to customize for your use. You must also consider how you want
people to pay, and setting up online credit card or PayPal payment the
first time can be a chore. Besides the actual site design, this can
require a lot of red tape with banks, PayPal, credit card companies,
etc. Also the site must be designed to keep track of all credits and
debits properly to keep the tax man happy. You may have to provide for
collection of sales tax if you sell in certain states. In summary, the
strictly business aspects may require even more time than making a site
that will work. Of course for those with retail sales experience, this
will be no great problem. Many find that hiring an expert to set up a
web store may be worth the cost in the long run.

David Graham

cwdjrxyz said:
[...]

Thank you, lots to look into it seems
bye