bgsound

jafar

Hi. I'm trying to put a background sound on my moonlife-records.com site
using..
<BGSOUND SRC="sound.mp3" LOOP="100">

That works fine in IE, but not in other browsers. Is BGSOUND so
non-standard? ;)
Anyway, I'd like to enable bgsound in other browsers too. Is there a more
standard way of doing this so that everybody can listen?
Many thanks.

Noozer

I know I won't listen to any site that spews music/noise/sound at me when I
visit.

Travis Newbury

jafar said:
Hi. I'm trying to put a background sound on my moonlife-records.com site
using..
<BGSOUND SRC="sound.mp3" LOOP="100">

That works fine in IE, but not in other browsers. Is BGSOUND so
non-standard? ;)
Anyway, I'd like to enable bgsound in other browsers too. Is there a more
standard way of doing this so that everybody can listen?
Many thanks.

Why background? Your visitors may not want to listen to your music
while they browse.. Let them decide when and what they ant to listen to.

Edwin van der Vaart

jafar said:
Hi. I'm trying to put a background sound on my moonlife-records.com site
using..
<BGSOUND SRC="sound.mp3" LOOP="100">

That works fine in IE, but not in other browsers. Is BGSOUND so
non-standard? ;)
Anyway, I'd like to enable bgsound in other browsers too. Is there a more
standard way of doing this so that everybody can listen?
Explanation about background sound.
http://sbrady.com/hotsource/faqs/alt-html-faq.html#16

Edwin van der Vaart

Travis said:
Why background? Your visitors may not want to listen to your music
while they browse.. Let them decide when and what they ant to listen to.
With proper <embed> settings, you can turn the background sound off.

Barbara de Zoete

[on putting a background sound in his site]
With proper <embed> settings, you can turn the background sound off.

Missing the point: as a visitor one might *not* want a background sound
starting all by itself. My speakers for example are usually occupied by
the music I like best for the moment. I hate it if a website desides they
know better what music I'm in the mood for.
So, best is to put it in a page in such a way that the user has to
activate to be able to listen. Turn it on, that is, if wanted. Not off if
disliked. Chances are, visitor is long gone before s/he finds the [off]
button.

Edwin van der Vaart

Barbara said:
[on putting a background sound in his site]
With proper <embed> settings, you can turn the background sound off.

Missing the point: as a visitor one might *not* want a background sound
starting all by itself. My speakers for example are usually occupied by
the music I like best for the moment. I hate it if a website desides
they know better what music I'm in the mood for.
So, best is to put it in a page in such a way that the user has to
activate to be able to listen. Turn it on, that is, if wanted. Not off
if disliked. Chances are, visitor is long gone before s/he finds the
[off] button.
Sorry about that. I was a little too enthusiastic with my reply.

Then the OP have to use the following setting for the <embed>
<embed src="sounds_of_nature.mp3" autostart="FALSE" hidden="FALSE"
loop="TRUE">
<noembed>

Wings

Maybe the visitor should be presented with a blank page with a bunch of
buttons there with lables like, TURN ON GIF HERE, GET TEXT HERE, etc. The
kneejerk reaction to background sound here strikes me as one of those JUMP
ON THE BANDWAGON things. I've been to lots of sites where the background
sound effects were essential, and I think having to turn them on would be
the annoying thing.

Wings said:
Maybe the visitor should be presented with a blank page with a bunch of
buttons there with lables like, TURN ON GIF HERE, GET TEXT HERE, etc. The
kneejerk reaction to background sound here strikes me as one of those JUMP
ON THE BANDWAGON things. I've been to lots of sites where the background
sound effects were essential, and I think having to turn them on would be
the annoying thing.

Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
play on my speakers when I got there.

Andy Dingley

Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
play on my speakers when I got there.

Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

Of course you need the prominent "Turn the sound off" button too.

Els

Andy said:
Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

Justifiable maybe, essential no.

If I visit a band site and there is a button "listen to the sound of
this band", that's better than being bombarded with it while I'm still
listening to my own music. You don't know if I am visiting to hear the
music, or that I may have the music of that band already playing and
I'm only looking for the tourdates.

Gaming: sounds are essential. Once I've started the game, not when
accessing the site.
Of course you need the prominent "Turn the sound off" button too.

I'd prefer a prominent "Turn on the music" button :)

jafar

Why background? Your visitors may not want to listen to your music
Sorry for offending so many people with my bgsound question ;)
Naturally, having a start/stop button using embed is the logical choice
once I get it sorted out. I just need to get it working on *most* browsers
in a standard way first.
Does nobody have a suggestion or a link to a site that has a tutorial?
A large part of my website traffic comes from non-microsoft browsers, and
I would like to include them in new features I add to my site.

Travis Newbury

Andy said:
Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

I have no problem with "justifiable" I look at flash the same way.
Most gaming sites are justified in having an all flash site. But
justifiable is not essencial. No site NEEDS to have a background
sound.

Edwin van der Vaart

Travis said:
I have no problem with "justifiable" I look at flash the same way.
Most gaming sites are justified in having an all flash site. But
justifiable is not essencial. No site NEEDS to have a background
sound.
For some site the background sound gives an other dimension.
For example a wild life / nationale park sites with a wild life
background sound.

Edwin van der Vaart

Els said:
Like the Blijdorp site?
http://www.diergaardeblijdorp.nl/ I, I, I... ;-(
It's funny if you need a quick look, and if you don't have music on.
Otherwise I'd prefer to not hear it.
I can't find any site what I'm looking for. I'll try to put it in words.
Example.
You have a page about Arnhem land (Australian). You have capture some
sounds of birds, the wind, etc.
That's better then

SpaceGirl

Andy said:
Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

Of course you need the prominent "Turn the sound off" button too.

I work with bands on sites and I would NEVER have automatic music on one
of our sites. Our audiences are music lovers, so are very likely to have
music PLAYING when they visit. It's a mess when you visit a site that
has music on it when you already have an MP3 plays. Not a turn OFF
button, but a turn ON button.

Wings

Travis Newbury said:
Name one site that the background sound was so essential that it had to
play on my speakers when I got there.

Essential in the sense of emotional impact. I'm sure there is no site with a
sound that HAS to play on your speakers.

If sound is so horrible, turn down your volume control while surfing. I
think everyone has one.

Wings

There yeah go....

Andy Dingley said:
Gaming and band-specific music sites. It's a tiny proportion of sites,
but in some rare cases I can see it as justifiable.

Of course you need the prominent "Turn the sound off" button too.

Wings

Many sites need no color. Many sites need no images. Many sites need no
minds behind them

It is, of course, nice that a lot of them do just the same.

As I learned early in life, over-positive statements are almost invariably
wrong.