bgsound

Wings

PBS once ran an African wildlife show with no background music or narration.
It was quite powerful, and I enjoyed it immensely. However, it was designed
to provide an emotional impact, and little real data was obtained from it.
My point being that one shoe does not fit all...

Wings

Maybe it's personal inclination, but I seldom run into a site where the
sounds are a real annoyance.

This anti-sound movement started back in the days of the BBS when employees
got annoyed going to a bbs that made noises that caught the boss's
attention. (Yes, that's just a guess <grin>).

Els

Wings wrote:

[auto playing sound on web sites]
Maybe it's personal inclination, but I seldom run into a site where the
sounds are a real annoyance.

How often do you run into a site whilst having music playing already?
This anti-sound movement started back in the days of the BBS when employees
got annoyed going to a bbs that made noises that caught the boss's
attention. (Yes, that's just a guess <grin>).

I think that that problem was solved by all those bosses who just
didn't attach any speakers to the PCs. (like just about all the
employers I worked for)

Els

Wings said:
If sound is so horrible, turn down your volume control while surfing. I
think everyone has one.

Yup, of course I have one. But.. if I turn down my volume control, I
don't hear my own music as loud as I'd like.

Leif K-Brooks

Wings said:
Maybe the visitor should be presented with a blank page with a bunch of
buttons there with lables like, TURN ON GIF HERE, GET TEXT HERE, etc. The
kneejerk reaction to background sound here strikes me as one of those JUMP
ON THE BANDWAGON things. I've been to lots of sites where the background
sound effects were essential, and I think having to turn them on would be
the annoying thing.

The other day, I was sitting at my computer reading Usenet when I heard
a noise. A loud booming noise that I couldn't tell the location of. It
couldn't be thunder; the sky was blue. It had to be a plane! But it was
loud... it had to be a low-flying plane. There's no airport, so it had
to be heading straight for the nuclear plant! Terrorists were clearly
about to blow up Vermont Yankee!

I was just about to run outside shouting "THE WORLD IS ENDING!" when I
realized that I had left a movie's Web site open in the background and
that it was making the noise. Not essential, wanted, or even close to
acceptable.

Travis Newbury

Wings said:
If sound is so horrible, turn down your volume control while surfing. I
think everyone has one.

I am jamming to some awesome reggae while surfing. I may not want your
sounds.

Travis Newbury

Wings said:
Many sites need no color. Many sites need no images. Many sites need no
minds behind them

It is, of course, nice that a lot of them do just the same.

An image and a sound are not the same thing.

msswasstastic

People don't want to watch commercials on TV either yet they help keep
the TV industry alive.

Most big label bands play music upon entering their sites, and they are
very wise to do so since their sites are nothing more than a
promotional tool. It's about getting the music into the ears of as many
people as possible.

On the other hand these sites that play annoying MIDI files, that does
nothing for anyone.

If the sounds help you sell whatever it is you are selling, go for it.

Wings

Travis Newbury said:
An image and a sound are not the same thing.
Indeed. An image conveys more information. And the amount of offensive
imagery on the net far exceeds the offensive sound. Where's the outcry?

Wings

Els said:
Yup, of course I have one. But.. if I turn down my volume control, I
don't hear my own music as loud as I'd like.
Luckily, I don't have that problem as I'm not fond of non-stop music. All my
CDs have been converted to mp3s and put on what I call my master discs. From
these I randomly select songs and put them to video tape. Why? Because it is
so easy to make 6 hours of music with LONG pauses between songs - up to a
half hour sometimes. Then when the music starts I'm pleasantly surprised. I
still use audio tape in my car for the same reason.

That is leaving the domain of html, and it is my last post on sound. Thanks
for your opinions, everyone.

Wings

But it sure sounds like it was effective....

Leif K-Brooks said:
The other day, I was sitting at my computer reading Usenet when I heard a
noise. A loud booming noise that I couldn't tell the location of. It
couldn't be thunder; the sky was blue. It had to be a plane! But it was
loud... it had to be a low-flying plane. There's no airport, so it had to
be heading straight for the nuclear plant! Terrorists were clearly about
to blow up Vermont Yankee!

I was just about to run outside shouting "THE WORLD IS ENDING!" when I
realized that I had left a movie's Web site open in the background and
that it was making the noise. Not essential, wanted, or even close to
acceptable.

Spartanicus

jafar said:
Sorry for offending so many people with my bgsound question ;)
Naturally, having a start/stop button using embed is the logical choice
once I get it sorted out. I just need to get it working on *most* browsers
in a standard way first.

If you really have accepted that you shouldn't attempt to play music
without people's consent, it makes no sense to load a mediaplayer just
to display a start button.

Allowing a user the choice to play your music is simple: <a
href="music.m3u">My music said:
Does nobody have a suggestion or a link to a site that has a tutorial?

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo

jafar

I have seen php scripts that claim to do this. That may have been at
HOTSCRIPTS.COM.

Thanks. I was trying to resist learning php, java etc.. preferring to use
pure html, but it looks like I might not be able to resist any longer ;)
Thanks for the link. :)

Leif K-Brooks

Wings said:
But it sure sounds like it was effective....

If the goal was to make sure that I would never even consider seeing
that movie, it was very effective.

Leif K-Brooks

People don't want to watch commercials on TV either yet they help keep
the TV industry alive.

TV commercials come into the watcher's house more-or-less unsolicited.
They can be turned off, of course, but you have to make an effort to
turn them off. A Web site with music playing has to be turned *on* by
visiting it, making people much less likely to submit to being annoyed.
Most big label bands play music upon entering their sites, and they are
very wise to do so since their sites are nothing more than a
promotional tool. It's about getting the music into the ears of as many
people as possible.

I will never buy anything from a band which has unrequested music
playing on their Web site, even if I was planning to buy it before
seeing the site. That's a promise.

Wings

That seems like a more realistic approach then most of those here. The main
thing I had against the anti-sound clique was that no sounds just takes too
big a bite out of my creativity options.

Good points have been made on both sides of the discussion, however.

Wings

Haha. That's a clear case of cutting your nose off to get even with your
face. But hey, if it works for you, go for it.