Big development in the GUI realm

Arich Chanachai

Robert said:
http://www.fastio.com/licensePlain.html

See their license option for shareware developers.
I stand corrected. Nevertheless, my point stands as this is rare. In
fact, this thread began as a result of Trolltech releasing PyQt for
windows with a GPL license option in addition to the commercial one, and
you will notice that there is no special *deferment provision for
shareware developers *in the specification of commercial license.* *It
would be a grand aid to developers if more companies took this noble and
perhaps more effective approach (versus the gimme-money-now alternative
which is quite dominant). I would argue that such a provision is in the
interests of the toolkit/library developer as this would allow fellows
to adopt their technology (and eventually pay for this adoption),
fellows who otherwise could not.

-Arich

Jeremy Bowers

Until such matters are unequivocally determined in a court that has
jurisdiction over you, do you really want to open yourself to legal risk
and certain ill-will from the community?

Huh? What are you talking about?

I'm just pointing out the inability of the law to handle it. I have no
intention of doing anything with it, except inasmuch as it makes it
difficult to license my own works since I don't believe any license works.
(But I use the LGPL anyways.)

Robert Kern

Jeremy said:
Huh? What are you talking about?

I'm just pointing out the inability of the law to handle it. I have no
intention of doing anything with it, except inasmuch as it makes it
difficult to license my own works since I don't believe any license works.
(But I use the LGPL anyways.)

Sorry, it seemed like you were proposing a method to "get around" the
intention of the copyright holder.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)