    he swears that he has no unmanaged code that he knows of. It also looks to
    me like the web site has no references at all, if that's even possible, so
    I'm even more confused.)

    B. Chernick, Jun 24, 2008

  2. VS 2005 introduced a new type of project called a Web Site Project. It
    doesn't create a single dll for the entire site. Instead, code is seperated
    out more, which leads to some annoying issues. For example, calling code in
    folder b from a page in folder a probably won't work because the code in
    folder b may not have compiled yet. To make code available throughout an
    entire web site project it has to be in the App_Code directory. This new
    project type annoyed a lot of people though so MS introduced the Web
    Application Project back into VS first as an add-in, then as part of VS 2005
    Service Pack 1. The Web Application Project is natively available in VS
    2008.

    The Web Application Project works pretty much the same way it did for the
    1.x projects created by VS 2002 and 2003. The Web Site Project is more of an
    interesting offshoot and does make it easier for people running VS Web
    Developer Express to create a web site since they don't have to compile it
    into a single-dll. Still, I prefer the single-dll method since it's easier
    to pre-compile and if you need to call code that gets compiled into multiple
    dlls you get the inter-dll communication hit.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - Expression

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jun 24, 2008

  3. B. Chernick

    sloan Guest

    I prefer the same.

    The time between VS2005 (no SP) and VS2005 SP1 seemed like an eternity.

    That was one of those MS being too clever for its own good .. moments, IMHO.

    sloan, Jun 24, 2008
  4. B. Chernick

    B. Chernick Guest

    I'm getting the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that Web application
    projects are for professionals and web site projects are for amateurs.
    Looks like I'll be sticking with web app projects. Thanks.

    B. Chernick, Jun 24, 2008
  5. That's the general impression most people had, but the Web Site Projects do
    have advantages and weren't a bad idea, but most designers who are used to
    the Web Application Projects find them more difficult and not worth the
    effort. Still, there are a number of great open source apps that are written
    with a Web Site Project since the core logic can still be put into an
    external class project, avoiding some of the most annoying issues for this
    project type.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - Expression

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jun 24, 2008
  6. B. Chernick

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    In the end almost all the same things can be done with either of the models,
    so in my opinion it is personal preference which one you use. I prefer WAP
    but only because I've used to work with that kind of model since the first
    days of .NET.

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    AspInsider, ASP.NET MVP

    Teemu Keiski, Jun 25, 2008
  7. B. Chernick

    B. Chernick Guest

    Just one further note: So far (and I am still looking) I cannot find a
    specific reference in the VS 2005 Help (Team edition) for the phrase 'Web
    Site Project', either in the index or by search.

    B. Chernick, Jun 25, 2008
  8. B. Chernick

    B. Chernick Guest

    Let me append my previous post: Haven't found much yet in the official Help
    but I did find these very interesting references:

    http://www.codersbarn.com/post/2008/06/ASPNET-Web-Site-versus-Web-Application-Project.aspx

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730880(VS.80).aspx#wapp_topic2

    (So they dumped the 'traditional' web app in VS2005 and then brought it back
    when developers complained?)

    B. Chernick, Jun 25, 2008