Binary Division Problem Help

Al Balmer

Windows calculator does not give the correct solution.

An example that I worked out with the correct solution is not the same
as the windows calculator is giving

1001 / 101110000

Solution = 101011 with Remainder of 011 and the remainder is what I'm
interested in.
I suggest you consider the possibility that the calculator is right
and you're wrong.

I didn't bother to get the remainder, since my only purpose was to
inform you of the existence of the calculator. BTW, what you write
above is the opposite of the "picture" you made in the original
posting. As stated above, the problem is trivial. The quotient is 0,
remainder 1001.

PS: Don't top post, and don't quote signature blocks.

Keith Thompson

Al Balmer said:
I suggest you consider the possibility that the calculator is right
and you're wrong.

Actually, I think the OP has stated that what he's trying to do is not
division in the usual arithmetic sense.

There's also been some confusion about the fact that "a divided into b"
is "b / a", not "a / b".

Al Balmer

Actually, I think the OP has stated that what he's trying to do is not
division in the usual arithmetic sense.

He has now, though not at the time when I wrote that reply.
There's also been some confusion about the fact that "a divided into b"
is "b / a", not "a / b".

As I noted, he originally gave two opposite renditions of the problem.
I assumed he meant the non-trivial case.