binary format of the number.

LR

blargg said:
Excuse my preference for the preprocessor

I think this might be a good place for the preprocessor, although the
usual caveats probably apply. I approached this from a slightly
different perspective.

I wonder if something like this might satisfy the OP:

#include <iostream>
#include <limits>
#include <bitset>

static const unsigned int DigitsInAnUnsignedLong =
std::numeric_limits<unsigned long>::digits;
typedef std::bitset<DigitsInAnUnsignedLong> BinaryType;

// this uses an explicit ctor
#define Binary(Z) BinaryType(std::string(#Z)).to_ulong()

int main() {
std::cout << Binary(11) << std::endl;
}

I don't particularly think that 'Binary' is a good name for a define,
but that's something to be careful about anyway, and this is just an
example, more a point of departure than a solution.

There might be some portability issues, and issues if you need signed
types, but maybe that can be taken care of with some abstraction.

LR

Kai-Uwe Bux

LR said:
[...]

There also might be the issue that with this solution, the binary constants
cannot be used at compile-time, i.e.,

template < unsigned long n >
struct compile_time {};

int main() {
compile_time< Binary(11) > x;
}

would not compile. The snipped solution, however, deals with that.

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Kai-Uwe Bux

blargg said:
Kai-Uwe Bux said:
LR said:
blargg wrote:
Excuse my preference for the preprocessor

I think this might be a good place for the preprocessor, although the
usual caveats probably apply. I approached this from a slightly
different perspective.

I wonder if something like this might satisfy the OP: [...]
// this uses an explicit ctor
#define Binary(Z) BinaryType(std::string(#Z)).to_ulong()
[...]
There also might be the issue that with this solution, the binary
constants cannot be used at compile-time, i.e.,

template < unsigned long n >
struct compile_time {};

int main() {
compile_time< Binary(11) > x;
}

would not compile. The snipped solution, however, deals with that.

And optimizes out entirely. That is,
BIN32(10101010,11001001,00110101,01011001) used in an expression should
generate the EXACT same code as 0xAAC93559 used in its place. A template
meta-programmed approach could do the same, but I cringe at its
complexity.

Well, the proposed solution has some remarkable trickyness, too. The
following is not as cute, but in my eyes easier to understand:

#define BIN_(n) ( ( n & 1) |\
( n>>2 & 2 ) |\
( n>>4 & 4 ) |\
( n>>6 & 8 ) |\
( n>>8 & 16 ) |\
( n>>10 & 32 ) |\
( n>>12 & 64 ) |\
( n>>14 & 128 ) |\
( n >> 16 & 256 ) )
#define BIN8(a) ( BIN_(0##a) * BIN8_VALID_(a) )

(the rest is as upthread.)

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Tarmo Kuuse

blargg said:
So you want it to support grouped binary values? What would be the format,
something like this?

0b00000011_11000000_00000000_00000000

That's a good solution. The underscore is widely used for grouping in
specs and documents. I think most programmers would recognize this
presentation of binary immediately.

Dreaming is nice :)
Whenever I deal with hardware or other systems using bitmasks, I define
the mask constants once, then use bitwise operators to combine them. And
when defining them, I'd use 1 shifted left by the bit number, not a hex
constant.

Not everybody does this. Each time I modify headers that define bits in
hex, it feels like a grain of sand is in my shoe.
Excuse my preference for the preprocessor (partly so it works in C and
C++). I convert the literals to octal in the macros, and also verify that
they contain 0 to 8 bits each, and nothing besides 0 or 1. You don't have
to pad constants to 8 bits, so for example BIN16(10,1) == 0x201.

#define BIN8_VALID_(a) (sizeof (char [(01##a & 0111111111) == 01##a]))
#define BIN8_(n) ((n >> 14 & 0xE0) | (n >> 8 & 0x18) | (n >> 4 & 0x07))
#define BIN8(a) (BIN8_( ((16 + 4 + 1) * (0##a)) ) * BIN8_VALID_( a ))
#define BIN16(a,b) (BIN8(a)*0x100u + BIN8(b))
#define BIN32(a,b,c,d) (BIN16(a,b)*0x10000u + BIN16(c,d))

[snip]

Very nifty. Preprocessor is fine - C is unavoidable in this area.

So, gcc is able to evaluate this compile time?

Kai-Uwe Bux

Tarmo said:
blargg wrote: [snip]
#define BIN8_VALID_(a) (sizeof (char [(01##a & 0111111111) == 01##a]))
#define BIN8_(n) ((n >> 14 & 0xE0) | (n >> 8 & 0x18) | (n >> 4 &
#0x07))
#define BIN8(a) (BIN8_( ((16 + 4 + 1) * (0##a)) ) * BIN8_VALID_(
#a ))
#define BIN16(a,b) (BIN8(a)*0x100u + BIN8(b))
#define BIN32(a,b,c,d) (BIN16(a,b)*0x10000u + BIN16(c,d))

[snip]

Very nifty. Preprocessor is fine - C is unavoidable in this area.

So, gcc is able to evaluate this compile time?

Any compliant compiler should. The tricky bits are

(a) that the result is correct.
(b) that no intermediate value overflows the bounds for unsigned constant
expressions (guaranteed to be >= 2^32).

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

Gennaro Prota

Tarmo said:
That's a good solution. The underscore is widely used for grouping in
specs and documents. I think most programmers would recognize this
presentation of binary immediately.

Dreaming is nice :)

Excuse me guys, do my posts appear on your news server? I'm
asking because I mentioned n0259 and its fate, about three days
ago. Am I properly plugged into the Usenet thing? :)

Tarmo Kuuse

Gennaro said:
Excuse me guys, do my posts appear on your news server? I'm
asking because I mentioned n0259 and its fate, about three days
ago. Am I properly plugged into the Usenet thing? :)

Yes, your post is visible. There are some follow-up messages from James
Kanze and others.

Kai-Uwe Bux

Hendrik said:
blargg said:
[...]
And optimizes out entirely. That is,
BIN32(10101010,11001001,00110101,01011001) used in an expression should
generate the EXACT same code as 0xAAC93559 used in its place. A template
meta-programmed approach could do the same, but I cringe at its
complexity.

Mhmm. I just toyed with the idea a bit and it doesn't seem that
hard. Here's something to start with:

template< unsigned long BinNum >
struct const_bin {
static const unsigned long result = const_bin<BinNum/10>::result *
2
+ BinNum % 10;
};

template<>
struct const_bin<0> {
static const unsigned long result = 0;
};

This lacks a check for nonsensical input ('const_bin<3>::result'
compiles just fine) and support for multiple template arguments.
But unless I'm missing something (I usually do) both should be
rather easy to add.

Did you try

const_bin< 00010001 >::result

Best