    W3C binary characterization working group says that BiM is
    self-contained when ASN.1 PER/BER isn't?

    -mm
    Michael Maier, Nov 22, 2005

  2. Michael Maier

    Paul Sandoz Guest

    Michael Maier wrote:
    > Can BiM be used as a self-contained and not schema dependent format? I
    > thought it is always schema dependent but the table in the web page of
    > W3C binary characterization working group says that BiM is
    > self-contained when ASN.1 PER/BER isn't?

    I am not an expert on BiM but my understanding is that BiM 2.0 has such
    a property.

    Although ASN.1 X.694 with BER/PER is not self-contained another ASN.1
    related standard, Fast Infoset [1] is (note that Fast Infoset does not
    require an ASN.1 toolkit for use or for implementation [2]).

    Paul.

    [1] http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/finf.htm
    [2] https://fi.dev.java.net/
    Paul Sandoz, Nov 28, 2005