Binary XML and MPEG-7 BiM

Michael Maier

Can BiM be used as a self-contained and not schema dependent format? I
thought it is always schema dependent but the table in the web page of
W3C binary characterization working group says that BiM is
self-contained when ASN.1 PER/BER isn't?

-mm

Paul Sandoz

Michael said:
Can BiM be used as a self-contained and not schema dependent format? I
thought it is always schema dependent but the table in the web page of
W3C binary characterization working group says that BiM is
self-contained when ASN.1 PER/BER isn't?

I am not an expert on BiM but my understanding is that BiM 2.0 has such
a property.

Although ASN.1 X.694 with BER/PER is not self-contained another ASN.1
related standard, Fast Infoset [1] is (note that Fast Infoset does not
require an ASN.1 toolkit for use or for implementation [2]).

Paul.

[1] http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/finf.htm
[2] https://fi.dev.java.net/