Bind 9 administration module(s)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Dan.Rode@gmail.com, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Many years ago I wrote a simple perl wrapper for bind 4.x. Now I need
    to develop a set of scripts to front-end most DNS administration
    tasks. My old script is not up to the task and not even useful as a
    starting point. I have a couple hundred zone files.

    Here's what I *think* I want to do.
    1) Store everything in a mysql DB
    2) Run from the master but also manage the slaves' named.conf files
    (code not process)
    3) Create named.conf and zone files on the fly as edits are made
    (ensures files match DB records)
    4) Manage forward and reverse records
    5) Manage zone files (header)
    6) Syntax and error checking
    7) Web interface
    8) Limit scope to Bind 9.x on UNIX/Linux

    I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I have been searching CPAN and not
    coming up with much. I found peices and parts much of it old and
    incomplete. One note, I am fairly weak when it comes to Perl OO
    programing, but I'll learn.

    I am open to any sugestions, but I am especially in need of advice
    concerning modules and scripts I can incorporate. Failing that, I'll
    write it from the ground up and I'll gladly accept advice on that as
    well.

    Regards,

    Dan Rode

    , Feb 14, 2007