Bind label to SiteMapDataSource

John

Hi there,

I'm using a tree view attached to a SiteMapDataSource in a master. What I'd
like to do is add a label control that is bound to the StartingNode of the
SiteMapDataSource so that I can display it somewhere else on the page. I
did think of using a second treeview (limited to one node) but this feels a
bit heavy handed.

So any clues on how to go about binding a label to the StartingNode of the
SiteMapDataSource?

Thanks.

John

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi John,

From your description, you're using SqlSiteMapProvider in ASP.NET
application for a TreeView control, however, since you also want to display
the start/root node of the SiteMap collection in another label, you're
wondering how to reuse the existing SiteMapDataSource instead of adding an
additional one, correct?

Based on my understanding, since SiteMapDataSource is encapsulated and
doesn't directly expose the underlying node collectino or generation
interface(actually done by the SiteMapProvider...). Therefore, if you want
to intercept the underlying nodes, I'm afraid the reasonable way is to
customize the existing sitemapprovider or implement your own one.

Another approach I've thought about is using the TreeView control. Since
your label control is on the same page of the TreeView, you can get the
TreeView control and find its RootNode, then programmatically assigned the
RootNode's Text to the Label control. How do you think?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
From: "John" <[email protected]>
Subject: Bind label to SiteMapDataSource
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:52:53 -0000

Hi there,

I'm using a tree view attached to a SiteMapDataSource in a master. What I'd
like to do is add a label control that is bound to the StartingNode of the
SiteMapDataSource so that I can display it somewhere else on the page. I
did think of using a second treeview (limited to one node) but this feels

John

Hello Steven,

Sorry for the slow reply on this one. I was reliant on solving the assembly
error in order to look at this problem.

I'm using an XML site map (web.sitemap). I like your idea of interogating
the treeview, however in the end I've decided to set the label and the
sitemapdatasource StartingNodeURL in the same operation in the Page Load
event which seems to work ok.

Thanks very much for your help.

Best regards

John