Binding a grid to various sources.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by et, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. et

    et Guest

    I am not even sure how to explain what I need to do. I have 3 tables, and I
    need to display and edit data from various fields from two of them:

    Table1:
    ID, fld1, fld2, Table2ID --one record

    Table2:
    ID, fld3, fld4 --one record

    Table3:
    ID, fld5, Table2ID -- One or 2 records for each Table2ID.

    I want to display in the grid like this:
    Col1 would bind to fld1,
    Col2 would bind to fld2
    Col3 would bind to fld5 (from the first record of table 3
    Col4 would bind to fld5 (from the second record of table 3)...

    Do you see my dilemma? If I create one query that joins all the data, bind
    it to the grid, I get 2 records, rather than one record with 2 columns. Is
    there anyway I can do that? I can't create 2 queries, because I can't bind
    the grid to 2 different datasets. Or can I? This is an editable grid,
    also, which makes it even more difficult to add, edit and delete these
    records.

    Thanks for your help.

    et, Apr 14, 2006