Binding data (string) to a label

Igor

Hi

I build a page that has a dropdownlist control bound with data from a
database. When user select an item from the dropdownlist I want a label to
be filled with a result from a stored procedure. The stored procedure takes
an ID of a selected item (@BoundID) from the dropdownlist and gives a result
(@BoundIdentifier) as follows:

---
Running [dbo].[tbh_GetBoundIdentifier] ( @BoundID =
cf44452b-8b05-45da-a7c6-14146fba0356, @BoundIdentifier = <NULL> ).

No rows affected.
(0 row(s) returned)
@BoundIdentifier = 160302_R.0582
@RETURN_VALUE = 0
Finished running [dbo].[tbh_GetBoundIdentifier].

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The binding part is simple:

Label1.Text = ParamBoundIdentifier.Value;

To work through this, you will have to create a data access routine with two
parameters.

1. Input parameter @BoundID
2. Output parameter @BoundIdentifier

Not sure what the "always 13 chars" means, unless you are telling me the
field, in the database, is char(13), which really means very little to me.

Igor

Not sure if I understand.

For the dropdownlist, to bind it with a datasource, code is as follows:

<asp:DropDownList ID="DropDownList4" runat="server"
DataSourceID="ObjectDataSource4" Enabled="False" DataTextField="BoundName"
DataValueField="BoundID" AppendDataBoundItems="True" AutoPostBack="True"
OnDataBinding="DropDownList4_DataBinding"
OnSelectedIndexChanged="DropDownList4_SelectedIndexChanged">
</asp:DropDownList>

<asp:ObjectDataSource ID="ObjectDataSource4" runat="server"
OldValuesParameterFormatString="original_{0}"
SelectMethod="GetBounds"
TypeName="odsTableAdapters.tb_BoundsTableAdapter">
<SelectParameters>
<asp:ControlParameter ControlID="DropDownList3"
Name="CommuneID" PropertyName="SelectedValue"
Type="Object" />
<asp:parameter Name="ValidFrom" Type="DateTime" />
<asp:parameter Name="ValidTo" Type="DateTime" />
</SelectParameters>
</asp:ObjectDataSource>

I wrote a stored procedure that takes to parameres (@BoundID and
@BoundIdentifier) and based on the @BoundID makes some computation.
All I want to do (but have absolutely no clue how) is when user makes a
selection in the drop down list, take the ID of the selected value, pass it
to the stored procedure, retreive the computed value (yes, by "always 13
chars" I meant it is char(13) datatype) and place it as a text property of a
label.

I assume the code responsible for that must be placed in a
SelectedIndexChanged property of the DropDownList4 control.

Igor said:
Hi

I build a page that has a dropdownlist control bound with data from a
database. When user select an item from the dropdownlist I want a label
to be filled with a result from a stored procedure. The stored procedure
takes an ID of a selected item (@BoundID) from the dropdownlist and gives
a result (@BoundIdentifier) as follows:

---
Running [dbo].[tbh_GetBoundIdentifier] ( @BoundID =
cf44452b-8b05-45da-a7c6-14146fba0356, @BoundIdentifier = <NULL> ).

No rows affected.
(0 row(s) returned)
@BoundIdentifier = 160302_R.0582
@RETURN_VALUE = 0
Finished running [dbo].[tbh_GetBoundIdentifier].
---

The BoundIdentifier is always 13 char long.
How can I do that? I can't find any 'binding' for a label.
I'm new to ASP.NET.