Binding mouse events on SVG shapes in C,python or Java...

Discussion in 'XML' started by Mathieu Leplatre, Jan 31, 2008.

  1. I would like to implement a SVG canvas in which mouse events on shapes
    can be handled by my program (C, python or Java...). On events, I want
    to manipulate the shapes (changing color, stroke, position, size...).

    Why ?
    - Events on complex vectorial shapes (like countries or regions in a
    map) are impossible to implement with a coordinates system
    - I could design the elements of my small application/game with a SVG
    editor (nice gradients etc.)

    I would need :
    - a SVG rendering lib (librsvg, Cairo,...)
    - a SVG DOM API to manipulate shapes
    - a simple SVG event system to bind mouse events to pieces of code in
    C,python or Java...

    I know you could easily do it with Javascript/emacs scripts within a
    browser.

    Some guyz recommended to look at WebKit or Gecko, but I don't like
    including such a big engine for a small app.
    I heard that a Cairo team was working on a SVG DOM API, and that
    Inkscape were not ready yet to refactor their core into a events/DOM
    library.

    Where do you recommend me to start ?
    Is there a magic component or workaround ?

    Thank you all, hope I am not asking too much.
    Mat.

    Mathieu Leplatre, Jan 31, 2008

  2. Mathieu Leplatre

    Pavel Lepin Guest

    Mathieu Leplatre <> wrote in
    <>:
    > I would like to implement a SVG canvas in which mouse
    > events on shapes can be handled by my program (C, python
    > or Java...). On events, I want to manipulate the shapes
    > (changing color, stroke, position, size...).

    I suspect you would have better chances of getting a useful
    answer on one of the groups in comp.graphics or
    comp.programming hierarchies; or on one of the groups about
    your PL of choice.

    As I see it, this is reasonably on-topic here, it's just
    that you're a bit unlikely to run into a person who would
    be able to help you with your very specific problem.

    --
    <>There is no phenotype</>

    Pavel Lepin, Feb 1, 2008