Binding to Java based Websphere MQ libraries

Sharon Phillips

Hi,

IBM make available a fairly comprehensive collection of Java classes
for managing MQ. I'm interested in creating Ruby bindings (wrappers?)
to these classes and was wondering if anyone could point me in the
right direction to get started.

Cheers,
Dave

Rob Biedenharn

Hi,

IBM make available a fairly comprehensive collection of Java
classes for managing MQ. I'm interested in creating Ruby bindings
(wrappers?) to these classes and was wondering if anyone could
point me in the right direction to get started.

Cheers,
Dave

Well, I'd say Google for a bit first...

However, I suspect that you'd get better results in creating the Ruby
bindings for the C version of the MQI. If you really need to go
through the Java classes, you might have better results looking into
JRuby (the Ruby interpreter written in Java -- Google can help here,
too).

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

Sharon Phillips

Thanks for the response Rob,

Using the C library requires the MQ client be installed on the target
machine, whereas the Java jars can just be dropped in with the
script. We also have an enterprise worthy app (and all that
implies...) and I was interested in using portions of that too.

I'd had a look at JRuby (perhaps should have mentioned this) but was
looking for other ideas.

After having a bit more of a look (yes, Google is indeed my friend)
I've decided to work with the Java code we've already developed. No
Ruby (yet...)

I work for a very large IT company developing enterprise strength
apps. You've no idea how refreshing Ruby is to use compared to my
normal work and I guess I'm busy trying to use it in as many places
as I can - the more practice I can get, the more I learn. Wrote a
nice data migration script today.

On another note, it seems my email shows up under my wife's name. I'm
Dave, she's Sharon. It's her computer, I just use it :)

Cheers,
Dave

Rob Biedenharn

Dave,
Well, you should check out STOMP (http://stomp.codehaus.org) and
ActiveMQ (http://activemq.org/ particularly the JMS-to-JMS bridge
http://activemq.org/site/jms-to-jms-bridge.html). (I haven't, but as
soon as a client needs MOM, I will be ;-)

If you haven't already looked at it, Groovy (http://
groovy.codehaus.org/ recently 1.0) is a big step toward Ruby-esque
code in an officially JCP'd Java environment (http://www.jcp.org/en/
jsr/detail?id=241). It was a presentation about Groovy in 2005 that
prompted me to take a closer look at Ruby.

-Rob

P.S. Yes, you probably found these already, but I figured I could
save the next person a few seconds by posting them.

[...]

+1 513-295-4739
Skype: rob.biedenharn

Sharon Phillips

Thanks for the tip on Groovy, I'd not come across this before, but it
sounds good.