Binding to JNDI datasource - please help

John Chambers

Binding to JNDI datasource - please help

Hi all, I'm relatively new to JNDI concepts and need some help. I am
writing a web app that accepts a variable specifying a jndi pooled
connection datasource as a url variable. This is a requirement and
cannot be changed. For example index.jsp?db=java:defaultdb

How do I use this JNDI name to create a connection? All the
literature I have read says to bind the resource manager connection
factory reference (res-ref-name) to the (jndi-name) in the server
specific xml (assumes knowledge of jndi name beforehand). Then do a
lookup on res-ref-name. In this case I do not know on what server
this war will be deployed and want to bind directly to the datasource
defined by my url variable. Can I do this without using a
res-ref-name and doing a lookup?

Your help is apprecitated,

John

Dave Brown

Hi John

I'm new to this too, but thankfully after a few days managed to get a
things going.. What container are you using ?

The easiest way I finally to get things going was by using the Tomcat
admin tool to configure my datasources, thus getting me out of having to
fiddle with the xml files.

Dave.