    is a collection of car classes and the DataValueField = "Driver.Name" which
    is the Car.Driver property and then the Driver.Name property.

    thanks
    TS, Aug 30, 2006

  2. TS

    KJ Guest

    Yes, this is possible. In fact, in .NET 2.0, this is one of the main
    purposes of the ObjectDataSource control. When binding an object in a
    DataGrid (.NET 1.x) using databinding syntax, you can do as follows (in
    the example, the datasource is an ArrayList of Chapter objects, of
    which WorkItem is a property of each Chapter):

    <asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Last Change Date">
    <ItemTemplate>
    <asp:Label id="lblStatusDate" runat="server">
    <%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem,
    "WorkItem.Status.LastChangeDate", "{0:d}") %>
    </asp:Label>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>

    KJ, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Hi TS,

    Based on the interaction between the data source and the control, you can
    identify three distinct forms of data binding and, subsequently, data-bound
    controls--simple binding, list controls, and complex binding.

    "DataValueField" belongs to the list controls. Internally it uses
    DataBinder.GetPropertyValue to get bound data. And currently this function
    doesn't support property path, it can only retrieve the property of the
    data source.

    As KJ pointed out, DataBinder.Eval can evaluate using the property path,
    it's used by complex binding which is also demonstrated by KJ's code.

    Sincerely,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    ications.

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Aug 31, 2006
  4. TS

    TS Guest

    thanks KJ!!!
    I thought i had seen it done but have had issues with it before.

    TS, Aug 31, 2006