Bit torrent swap space via python

Julia Goolia

Hi,

I noticed that Bit Torrent uses a lot of swap space when downloading
files at a fast speed. This has quite a bad effect on my system. My
applications that are running are constantly getting removed from the
swap space cause Bit Torrent is downloading so much data. Everything
becomes VERY choppy. At least I think that is what is going on.

My question is... is there a class or function to open a file which
will not do any buffering in the swap space?

Peace!
julia

Diez B. Roggisch

Julia said:
My question is... is there a class or function to open a file which
will not do any buffering in the swap space?

Nope - thats a system thingy. applications request memory, and get it - if
there isn't enough physical, the swapspace grows.

It might be possible for kernel level code to prevent the memory beenig
swappable, but that clearly is beyond pythons capabilities.

Dr. Peer Griebel

Julia said:
Hi,

I noticed that Bit Torrent uses a lot of swap space when downloading
files at a fast speed. This has quite a bad effect on my system. My
applications that are running are constantly getting removed from the
swap space cause Bit Torrent is downloading so much data. Everything
becomes VERY choppy. At least I think that is what is going on.

My question is... is there a class or function to open a file which
will not do any buffering in the swap space?

Peace!
julia

Is mmap what you are looking for?

Peer