Bitplane approach to FIR filter architecture

Wiener, Norbert

Hi all,

Has anyone heard about the bitplane approach to implement FIR filters?

Regards.

Tim Olson

| Hi all,
|
| Has anyone heard about the bitplane approach to implement FIR filters?

We did something that sounds similar to this for the correlation code in
a software rake receiver implementation. The incoming samples were only
5 bits, so performing computation with 16-bit or 32-bit registers wasted
most of the computation capability. By reorganizing the sample data
into bit planes (with each bit plane containing packed bits from bit N
of each sample), the outer loop could step over the 5 bit planes, with
the inner loop performing partial product operations on multiple samples
in parallel, utilizing the full width of the registers.

-- Tim Olson

Jerry Avins

Hi all,

Has anyone heard about the bitplane approach to implement FIR filters?

Regards.

To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen's remark to Dan Quail, "I knew Norbert
Wiener. ... Sir, you're no Norbert Wiener."

Jerry

Matt Timmermans

Jerry Avins said:
To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen's remark to Dan Quail, "I knew Norbert
Wiener. ... Sir, you're no Norbert Wiener."

Jerry

Did you really know Norbert Wiener?

Jerry Avins

Matt said:
Did you really know Norbert Wiener?

Sort of. I met him a few times. I was friends with his secretary. There
were lots of opportunities to hear stories and a few to meet.

Jerry