  1. Hi all,

    Has anyone heard about the bitplane approach to implement FIR filters?

    Regards.

    Wiener, Norbert, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Wiener, Norbert

    Tim Olson Guest

    In article <>,
    (Wiener, Norbert) wrote:

    | Hi all,
    |
    | Has anyone heard about the bitplane approach to implement FIR filters?

    We did something that sounds similar to this for the correlation code in
    a software rake receiver implementation. The incoming samples were only
    5 bits, so performing computation with 16-bit or 32-bit registers wasted
    most of the computation capability. By reorganizing the sample data
    into bit planes (with each bit plane containing packed bits from bit N
    of each sample), the outer loop could step over the 5 bit planes, with
    the inner loop performing partial product operations on multiple samples
    in parallel, utilizing the full width of the registers.

    -- Tim Olson

    Tim Olson, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Wiener, Norbert

    Jerry Avins Guest

    Wiener, Norbert wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Has anyone heard about the bitplane approach to implement FIR filters?
    >
    > Regards.

    To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen's remark to Dan Quail, "I knew Norbert
    Wiener. ... Sir, you're no Norbert Wiener."

    Jerry

    Jerry Avins, Nov 17, 2004
  4. "Jerry Avins" <> wrote in message
    > To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen's remark to Dan Quail, "I knew Norbert
    > Wiener. ... Sir, you're no Norbert Wiener."
    >
    > Jerry

    Did you really know Norbert Wiener?

    --
    Matt

    Matt Timmermans, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Wiener, Norbert

    Jerry Avins Guest

    Matt Timmermans wrote:
    > "Jerry Avins" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen's remark to Dan Quail, "I knew Norbert
    >>Wiener. ... Sir, you're no Norbert Wiener."
    >>
    >>Jerry

    > Did you really know Norbert Wiener?

    Sort of. I met him a few times. I was friends with his secretary. There
    were lots of opportunities to hear stories and a few to meet.

    Jerry

    Jerry Avins, Nov 18, 2004