Bizarre Web Service Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jay Robinson, Oct 17, 2003.

  1. Jay Robinson

    Jay Robinson Guest

    The following text is the result of calling a web service
    (FN003) locally using the test page. During its
    processing, the web service calls a second web service
    (FN006) on the same box.

    It appears to be searching for a missing temporary dll,
    though I have no idea why. The name of the dll changes
    from one call to the next. Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException:
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was
    unable to process request. --->
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name
    eskxr3nz.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
    File name: "eskxr3nz.dll"
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName
    fileName, String codeBase, Boolean isStringized, Evidence
    assemblySecurity, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Assembly
    locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName
    assemblyRef, Boolean stringized, Evidence
    assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
    at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(AssemblyName
    assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity)
    at
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerResults.get_CompiledAssemb
    ly()
    at
    System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerResults.get_CompiledAssemb
    ly()
    at System.Xml.Serialization.Compiler.Compile()
    at System.Xml.Serialization.TempAssembly..ctor(XmlMapping
    [] xmlMappings)
    at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.FromMappings
    (XmlMapping[] mappings)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerType..ctor
    (Type type, ProtocolsEnum versionsSupported)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.Initializ
    e()
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create
    (Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request,
    HttpResponse response, Boolean& abortProcessing)

    === Pre-bind state information ===
    LOG: Where-ref bind. Location = C:\DOCUME~1\S03
    \ASPNET\LOCALS~1\Temp\eskxr3nz.dll
    LOG: Appbase = file:///F:/FrakesNet/FN006
    LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
    Calling assembly : (Unknown).
    ===

    LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time
    (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly
    bind).
    LOG: Attempting download of new URL
    file:///C:/DOCUME~1/S03/ASPNET/LOCALS~1/Temp/eskxr3nz.dll.

    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadR
    esponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response,
    Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invok
    e(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at FN003.FN006.IndustryCodeService.GetIndustry(Int32
    Code)
    at FN003.PublicService.GetJobProfile(String JobID)

    Jay Robinson, Oct 17, 2003

  2. there is an error in the XML serializer than can sometimes lead to this
    symptom.
    In the case where you have particularly complex object graph, involving
    jagged arrays without a specific attriubute applied to them, the Xml
    Serializer will choke. If you apply the attribute, the serializer will be
    fine.

    See http://tinyurl.com/rqwl

    to troubleshoot this, I would recommend:
    1. examine your datatypes for a jagged or 2-d array
    2. simplify the data types being sent and received to simple types
    3. add in complexity, until you see the error
    4. apply the attribute and see if this resolves your issue

    There can be other causes of this mystifying message, but this is the one I
    have seen most commonly.

    -Dino

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Oct 21, 2003