Bjarne Stroustrup has new C++ text coming out ...

Discussion in 'C++' started by blangela, Oct 19, 2008.

  1. blangela

    blangela Guest

    Bjarne Stroustrup has a new text coming out called "Programming:
    Principles and Practice Using C++" (ISBN: 0321543726), due to be
    published in December of this year.

    Some of the features of this new text include:

    *Its history: The text was developed in the author's introductory
    programming course at Texas A&M and has been used successfully by
    hundreds of students.

    *An untraditional approach for an introductory programming text: It
    leaves out many common topics, including discrete math and hardware,
    and instead focuses on programming and how to develop software.

    *A full range of supplements, including drills, exercises, and
    solutions.

    This test was clearly designed to be used as an introductory C++ text
    in colleges and universites. As a C++ college instructor, I am
    looking forward to getting my evaluation copy and creating my own
    impression of this new text. I cover topics such as Exception
    Handling, Operator Overloading, as well as C programming topics such
    as pointers, C-style strings (char *), some of the C string
    manipulation functions, etc in my courses. None of the these topics
    are explicitily listed in the table of contents below. I guess that I
    will have to wait to read the actual text to find out how well these
    topics are covered. As well, the success or failure of this text will
    also have a lot to do with the quality of the exercises (and
    solutions) provided with the text.

    Table of Contents:

    Preface
    Chapter 0: Notes to the Reader

    Part I: The Basics
    Chapter 1: Computers, People, and Programming
    Chapter 2: Hello, World!
    Chapter 3: Objects, Types, and Values
    Chapter 4: Computation
    Chapter 5: Errors
    Chapter 6: Writing a Program
    Chapter 7: Completing a Program
    Chapter 8: Technicalities: Functions, Etc.
    Chapter 9: Technicalities: Classes, Etc.

    Part II: Input and Output
    Chapter 10: Input and Output Streams
    Chapter 11: File Streams and String Streams
    Chapter 12: Graphs
    Chapter 13: Graph Classes
    Chapter 14: Graph Class Design
    Chapter 15: Graphing Functions
    Chapter 16: Graphical User Interfaces

    Part III: Data and Algorithms
    Chapter 17: Vectors: Memory Management
    Chapter 18: Vectors: Arrays
    Chapter 19: Vectors: Exceptions and Templates
    Chapter 20: STL: Containers, Iterators, and Algorithms
    Chapter 21: STL: Maps and Algorithms

    Part IV: Broadening the View

    Chapter 22: Ideals and History
    Chapter 23: Text Manipulation
    Chapter 24: Numerics
    Chapter 25: Embedded Systems Programming
    Chapter 26: Testing
    Chapter 27: The C Programming Language

    Appendices
    Appendix A: Language Summary
    Appendix B: Standard-Library Summary
    Appendix C: Getting Started with Visual Studio
    Appendix D: Installing FLTK
    Appendix E: GUI Implementation

    Glossary
    Bibliography

    blangela, Oct 19, 2008

  2. blangela

    Noah Roberts Guest

    blangela wrote:
    > Bjarne Stroustrup has a new text coming out called "Programming:
    > Principles and Practice Using C++" (ISBN: 0321543726), due to be
    > published in December of this year.

    I was at boostcon where he discussed his ideas about C++ instruction,
    which this book is supposed to implement. He discussed something about
    basically creating 3 different versions of the language and library:
    beginner, intermediate, professional...or something like that. He
    seemed to have mimicked this through some headers and such. In other
    words, the beginner level of this book may very well depend on the
    existence of his header setup, which I'm sure he describes or provides.

    His hope is that people will come up with a package sort of setup for
    C++ development that will make entry into the language easier for
    beginners. They won't have to get the compiler, an IDE, pick a GUI
    library, pick a networking library, etc... It'll just plug and play.

    Noah Roberts, Oct 20, 2008