    I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
    adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
    figure this one out?

    Clayburn, Mar 19, 2009

  2. Clayburn

    C A Upsdell Guest

    Clayburn wrote:
    > Okay, so I'm working on this website. It was done "professionally"
    > and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. We'll likely be
    > redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
    > it up and updating it some.
    >
    > One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
    > It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
    > welcome title. You can see a break in the background images of the
    > table cells.
    >
    > Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm
    >
    > I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
    > adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
    > figure this one out?

    What browser? Which version?

    I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good. There
    is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this line
    makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator between
    the page title and the page content.

    C A Upsdell, Mar 19, 2009

  3. Clayburn

    Clayburn Guest

    On Mar 18, 11:52 pm, C A Upsdell <> wrote:
    > Clayburn wrote:
    > > Okay, so I'm working on this website.   It was done "professionally"
    > > and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it.  We'll likely be
    > > redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
    > > it up and updating it some.

    > > One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
    > > It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
    > > welcome title.  You can see a break in the background images of the
    > > table cells.

    > > Check it out here:  http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

    > > I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
    > > adjusting heights.  Can't seem to get it to go away.  Can anyone
    > > figure this one out?

    > What browser?   Which version?
    >
    > I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.  There
    > is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this line
    > makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator between
    > the page title and the page content.

    I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
    Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
    years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
    I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
    the trees, just below the animated logo.

    Clayburn, Mar 19, 2009
  4. Clayburn

    rf Guest

    Clayburn wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 11:52 pm, C A Upsdell <> wrote:
    >> Clayburn wrote:
    >>> Okay, so I'm working on this website. It was done "professionally"
    >>> and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. We'll likely be
    >>> redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
    >>> it up and updating it some.

    >>> One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
    >>> It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
    >>> welcome title. You can see a break in the background images of the
    >>> table cells.

    >>> Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

    >>> I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
    >>> adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
    >>> figure this one out?

    >> What browser? Which version?
    >>
    >> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.
    >> There is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this
    >> line makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator
    >> between the page title and the page content.

    > I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
    > Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
    > years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
    > I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
    > the trees, just below the animated logo.

    See the little faint "Block" button there? This if firefox asking you if you
    wish to block that flas animation. It inserts an <a> element to do this.
    This is pushing the next block down a bit.

    You will see the same but more noticable effect if you increase your font
    size quite a bit, so the fax number falls below the flash.

    Which idiot sliced the background image into little bits and put them in
    different block elements? Join it back together and use it as a background
    for the entire table.

    I just noticed the tables. Do not expect fixed sized background images in
    different cells to line up when content of unknown size is put in the cells.

    rf, Mar 19, 2009
  5. Clayburn

    rf Guest

    Clayburn wrote:
    > On Mar 18, 11:52 pm, C A Upsdell <> wrote:
    >> Clayburn wrote:
    >>> Okay, so I'm working on this website. It was done "professionally"
    >>> and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it. We'll likely be
    >>> redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
    >>> it up and updating it some.

    >>> One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
    >>> It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
    >>> welcome title. You can see a break in the background images of the
    >>> table cells.

    >>> Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

    >>> I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
    >>> adjusting heights. Can't seem to get it to go away. Can anyone
    >>> figure this one out?

    >> What browser? Which version?
    >>
    >> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.
    >> There is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this
    >> line makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator
    >> between the page title and the page content.

    > I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
    > Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
    > years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
    > I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
    > the trees, just below the animated logo.

    Just noticed the same thing happens with IE. In this case it'll be something
    like

    </flash>

    Notice the whitespace between the end of the flash and the end of the table
    cell. You can verify this by changing your font size. Even though the
    drezigners have supidlty specifed pixels for font size IE will still resize
    that bit of whitespace or, er, lightbrownspace.

    Same solution applies.

    rf, Mar 19, 2009
  6. Clayburn

    Kiran Makam Guest

    On Mar 19, 9:01 am, Clayburn <> wrote:

    > I just checked it in IE and it's fine.  The problem occurs in
    > Firefox.  It's not that noticeable.  They've had it the same for two
    > years and nobody's said anything.  But it just really annoys me and
    > I'd like to fix it if I can.  It's just a light break in the images of
    > the trees, just below the animated logo.

    Your logo swf height is 134px but the TD containing the swf is having
    a rendered height of 138px. May be spaces between tags inside TD is
    causing this extra height. Remove space between embed and closing
    object tag
    -------
    <embed....></object>
    --------
    If this does not help remove all spaces between tags inside TD and
    try.

    - Kiran Makam

    Kiran Makam, Mar 19, 2009
  7. Clayburn

    Kiran Makam, Mar 19, 2009
  8. Clayburn

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:01:35 -0700 (PDT), Clayburn
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 18, 11:52 pm, C A Upsdell <> wrote:
    >> Clayburn wrote:
    >> > Okay, so I'm working on this website.   It was done "professionally"
    >> > and now I'm stuck with the job of maintaining it.  We'll likely be
    >> > redoing the entire thing, but in the meantime, I'm working on fixing
    >> > it up and updating it some.

    >> > One thing that keeps annoying me is this blank line that appears.
    >> > It's just below the Flash logo animation and right above the page's
    >> > welcome title.  You can see a break in the background images of the
    >> > table cells.

    >> > Check it out here:  http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

    >> > I've tried finding out what's wrong, changing alignment on things,
    >> > adjusting heights.  Can't seem to get it to go away.  Can anyone
    >> > figure this one out?

    >> What browser?   Which version?
    >>
    >> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.  There
    >> is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this line
    >> makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator between
    >> the page title and the page content.

    >I just checked it in IE and it's fine. The problem occurs in
    >Firefox. It's not that noticeable. They've had it the same for two
    >years and nobody's said anything. But it just really annoys me and
    >I'd like to fix it if I can. It's just a light break in the images of
    >the trees, just below the animated logo.

    They paid for that piece of trash?
    While the output may look good, the coding sucks royally.
    Who the sam hell in their right minds codes in xhtml then relies on
    tables for display?

    I didn't see your problem right away until I enlarged the text and
    then all kinds of strange things happen.

    Dude, scrap the code and rewrite it.
    It would appear that some idiot decided to position the navigational
    links so that when text is enlarged, they stay put. I don't think I've
    ever seen text do that inside a table before.

    When you're done, charge the idiots double what they paid for it to
    begin with.

    richard, Mar 19, 2009
  9. Clayburn

    Clayburn Guest

    On Mar 19, 12:48 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    > Clayburn wrote:

    > >> What browser? Which version?

    > >> I've looked at your page with FF and IE, and the page looks good.
    > >> There is a thick horizontal brown line below the H1 header, but this
    > >> line makes the page look nicer, and acts as an attractive separator
    > >> between the page title and the page content.

    > > I just checked it in IE and it's fine.  The problem occurs in
    > > Firefox.  It's not that noticeable.  They've had it the same for two
    > > years and nobody's said anything.  But it just really annoys me and
    > > I'd like to fix it if I can.  It's just a light break in the images of
    > > the trees, just below the animated logo.

    > Just noticed the same thing happens with IE. In this case it'll be something
    > like
    >
    > </flash>
    >
    > Notice the whitespace between the end of the flash and the end of the table
    > cell. You can verify this by changing your font size. Even though the
    > drezigners have supidlty specifed pixels for font size IE will still resize
    > that bit of whitespace or, er, lightbrownspace.
    >
    > Same solution applies.

    I like the idea of putting the image back together. I may do that.
    But right now it's 1:00 am and I don't feel like doing anything that
    requires work. I was hoping I could just delete or add some minor
    code somewhere to fix it. I don't get what you mean by the </flash></
    td> stuff. Are you saying it may be fixable by putting one or both of
    those somewhere?

    Clayburn, Mar 19, 2009
  10. Clayburn

    rf Guest

    Clayburn wrote:
    > On Mar 19, 12:48 am, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> Clayburn wrote:

    >> Notice the whitespace between the end of the flash and the end of
    >> the table cell. You can verify this by changing your font size. Even
    >> though the drezigners have supidlty specifed pixels for font size IE
    >> will still resize that bit of whitespace or, er, lightbrownspace.
    >>
    >> Same solution applies.

    > I like the idea of putting the image back together. I may do that.
    > But right now it's 1:00 am and I don't feel like doing anything that
    > requires work. I was hoping I could just delete or add some minor
    > code somewhere to fix it. I don't get what you mean by the
    > </flash></ td> stuff. Are you saying it may be fixable by putting
    > one or both of those somewhere?

    </object>
    <!-- #EndEditable --></td>The whitespace between </object> and
    of that (except the comment) into a single space. That is the space that is
    causing the problem.Use </object></td> but you probably can't because of
    your template.

    rf, Mar 19, 2009
  11. On 18 Mar 2009, Kiran Makam <> wrote:

    > On Mar 19, 9:01 am, Clayburn <> wrote:
    >
    >> I just checked it in IE and it's fine.  The problem occurs in
    >> Firefox.  It's not that noticeable.  They've had it the same for two
    >> years and nobody's said anything.  But it just really annoys me and
    >> I'd like to fix it if I can.  It's just a light break in the images of
    >> the trees, just below the animated logo.

    > Your logo swf height is 134px but the TD containing the swf is having
    > a rendered height of 138px. May be spaces between tags inside TD is
    > causing this extra height. Remove space between embed and closing
    > object tag
    > -------
    > <embed....></object>
    > --------
    > If this does not help remove all spaces between tags inside TD and
    > try.
    >
    > - Kiran Makam

    That did it, but strange, when I looked at it in ff Web Developer tool,
    the closing embed tag was missing and it was in the source. Can't figure
    that one.

    --
    Awful Dog Autry

    Awful Dog Autry, Mar 19, 2009
  12. Clayburn

    Clayburn Guest

    On Mar 19, 1:46 am, Awful Dog Autry <> wrote:
    > On 18 Mar 2009, Kiran Makam <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 19, 9:01 am, Clayburn <> wrote:

    > >> I just checked it in IE and it's fine.  The problem occurs in
    > >> Firefox.  It's not that noticeable.  They've had it the same for two
    > >> years and nobody's said anything.  But it just really annoys me and
    > >> I'd like to fix it if I can.  It's just a light break in the images of
    > >> the trees, just below the animated logo.

    > > Your logo swf height is 134px but the TD containing the swf is having
    > > a rendered height of 138px. May be spaces between tags inside TD is
    > > causing this extra height. Remove space between embed and closing
    > > object tag
    > > -------
    > > <embed....></object>
    > > --------
    > > If this does not help remove all spaces between tags inside TD and
    > > try.

    > > - Kiran Makam

    > That did it, but strange, when I looked at it in ff Web Developer tool,
    > the closing embed tag was missing and it was in the source. Can't figure
    > that one.
    >
    > --
    > Awful Dog Autry

    Well, I deleted the template element that was the logo. Hope that
    doesn't screw anything up. I just removed the Template beginning and
    ending tags for the logo, and deleted the whitespace between the </
    embed> </object> and </td>. I don't think it matters that the logo is
    no longer editable space since it appears the same on every page
    anyway. But yeah, I think it's fixed. If anyonoe else notices any
    problems or things I should fix, please let me know. I'll be
    designing a new site, but in the meantime I need to optimize the
    current one as best as I can.

    Thanks for the help.

    Clayburn, Mar 19, 2009
  13. Clayburn

    Nicole Guest

    Clayburn wrote:

    > Check it out here: http://www.gelbcenter.com/pages/home.htm

    I have Firefox.
    Yes, it is ugly.

    To find out what is wrong, you can try 3 ways:

    1) very low hope:
    Try setting in CSS - please check the correct syntax - like:
    table-collapse-border:collapse;

    2) high hope, low time:
    Go in FF with the mouse above your elements and try "inspect element".
    With this information you take away what you see.
    e.g. "scroll" with the background-image and others.
    Try until the problem is gone

    3) sure way, long time:
    backup the site and take every element away until the lines are gone.

    And:
    I love your site!!

    Nicole,
    http://TigerTradingClub.com