Blank page after selection

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Chris Zopers, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Chris Zopers

    Chris Zopers Guest

    Hello,

    I've developed an ASP.NET page with a dropdownlist and several
    textboxes. When the user selects an item from the dropdownlist, some
    data is retrieved from a database and displayed in the textboxes.

    The items that are in the dropdownlist are also retrieved from the
    database in the Page_Load event (only the first time, not in postbacks).

    Everything works fine, except when the user selects an item from the
    dropdownlist and immediately clicks the dropdownlist again (before the
    data is fully retrieved from the database). In that case, the whole page
    turns blank. All controls are gone, nothing is shown except for a blank
    white page.

    Does anyone know what causes this problem and how to solve this?

    Greetings,
    Chris

    Chris Zopers, Jan 9, 2006

  2. It sounds like you have a AutoPostBack set to true for your dropdownlist.
    You might consider setting it to false and use an additional button to
    submit the form. This way, if your user selects something in the
    dropdownlist before the page has completely finished, it won't postback on
    itself too soon.

    Hope this helps!
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Jan 9, 2006

  3. Chris Zopers

    Chris Zopers Guest

    Hello,

    I use an autopostback on the dropdownlist indeed. I'll try your
    solution, that should work!

    Thanks en greetings,
    Chris.

    Chris Zopers, Jan 9, 2006