    came with the A+PLUS software. Yes, I can convert it to more modern
    formats, but first I need to understand it.

    TIA!

    CTSportPilot, Mar 4, 2008

  2. CTSportPilot

    jtw Guest

    It's probably been over 20 years since I've used Aplus--was it 1984, or
    1985?

    If you can post a snippet of the code, perhaps someone can translate?

    JTW

    jtw, Mar 5, 2008

  3. CTSportPilot

    jtw Guest

    You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

    jtw, Mar 5, 2008
  4. CTSportPilot

    Dejan Guest

    > You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.
    >

    > "jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
    >> It's probably been over 20 years since I've used Aplus--was it 1984, or 1985?
    >>
    >> If you can post a snippet of the code, perhaps someone can translate?
    >>
    >> JTW
    >>
    >> "CTSportPilot" <> wrote in message
    >>>I came across an ADF (Altera Desgn Format) file from an Altera EPLD.
    >>> Does anyone out there know of a syntax primer on this dead HDL
    >>> format? For those playing at home, this is an HDL from Altera that
    >>> came with the A+PLUS software. Yes, I can convert it to more modern
    >>> formats, but first I need to understand it.
    >>>
    >>> TIA!

    If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion
    procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)

    http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd02012007_34.html

    For total re-write, I've got no idea :-(

    regards

    Dejan

    Dejan, Mar 5, 2008
  5. CTSportPilot

    CTSportPilot Guest

    I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code. There's
    all sorst of strange constructs like:

    OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)

    Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
    unless I have documentation.

    There are other constructs like:
    X = RORF()
    X = COCF()
    X = RONF()
    X = CONF()

    There are also logic equations

    X.d = !Y & Z
    # Q

    Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.

    CTSportPilot, Mar 6, 2008
  6. CTSportPilot

    John_H Guest

    On Mar 6, 7:54 am, CTSportPilot <> wrote:
    > I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code.  There's
    > all sorst of strange constructs like:
    >
    > OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)
    >
    > Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
    > unless I have documentation.
    >
    > There are other constructs like:
    > X = RORF()
    > X = COCF()
    > X = RONF()
    > X = CONF()
    >
    > There are also logic equations
    >
    > X.d = !Y & Z
    >        # Q
    >
    > Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.
    >
    > On Mar 5, 6:21 pm, "Dejan" <_remove_dejan@_remove_dilogic.hr> wrote:
    >

    > > "jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

    > > If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion
    > > procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)

    > >http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd02012007_34.html

    > > For total re-write, I've got no idea :-(

    > > regards

    > > Dejan- Hide quoted text -

    The macrocells in the Altera CPLDs are registers with or without
    feedback and even with or without a direct output. I believe these
    primitives are for the output select from the logic and the register.

    While the NORF() with the list is similar to ordered lists in other
    languages, you'd need a list of primitives to understand precisely
    what each entry is. In the case of the NORF, by inspection the first
    entry is the output connected to the D input of a declared register
    such as a DFFE (D flip-flop with enable). The ports on declared items
    are referred to by NAME.port and here, again, the primitive
    definitions tell you precise syntax.

    I think the language allows both forms - declared elements as well as
    the ordered-list function form - such that the NORF could have been
    declared in a primitive list and the connections referred to as
    NAME.o, NAME.clk, NAME.rst and NAME.clr.

    I cut my teeth on AHDL in 1988 and haven't used it in well over a
    decade.

    If you have other specifics, air them. If I can't recall, I have
    another engineer here that declares AHDL as one of his competencies.

    - John_H (from comp.arch.fpga)

    John_H, Mar 6, 2008
  7. CTSportPilot

    KJ Guest

    On Mar 6, 10:54 am, CTSportPilot <> wrote:
    > I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code.  There's
    > all sorst of strange constructs like:
    >
    > OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)
    >
    > Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
    > unless I have documentation.
    >
    > There are other constructs like:
    > X = RORF()
    > X = COCF()
    > X = RONF()
    > X = CONF()
    >
    > There are also logic equations
    >
    > X.d = !Y & Z
    >        # Q
    >
    > Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.
    >
    > On Mar 5, 6:21 pm, "Dejan" <_remove_dejan@_remove_dilogic.hr> wrote:
    >

    > > "jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

    > > If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion
    > > procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)

    > >http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd02012007_34.html

    > > For total re-write, I've got no idea :-(

    > > regards

    > > Dejan- Hide quoted text -

    Googling for "Altera+NORF"
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Altera NORF

    The first link came up the following PDF file from Texas A&M which
    might give you some more clues.

    http://courses.cs.tamu.edu/rgutier/ceg453_s00/altera_handout.pdf

    Page 14 says that NORF=No output registered feedback,
    CONF=Combinatorial output, no feedback. Page 17 lists RONF, nothing
    on COCF, but based on what it has I would expect it to be a
    combinatorial output with combinatorial feedback.

    The next few Google link are to
    "The Church Heraldry of Norfolk: A Description of All Coats of Arms"
    "JSTOR: Violence and the Exercise of Feudal Guardianship"
    "Sir Robert Lovett of Liscombe"

    So I think the pickings are rather slim on this niche. Happy
    sleuthing.

    Kevin Jennings

    KJ, Mar 6, 2008
  8. CTSportPilot

    CTSportPilot Guest

    That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! This at least gets me
    most of the way there.

    I tried googling "norf", but didn't try the combination with Altera.
    Thanks!

    CTSportPilot, Mar 6, 2008
  9. CTSportPilot wrote:
    > I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code. There's
    > all sorst of strange constructs like:
    >
    > OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)
    >
    > Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
    > unless I have documentation.
    >
    > There are other constructs like:
    > X = RORF()
    > X = COCF()
    > X = RONF()
    > X = CONF()
    >
    > There are also logic equations
    >
    > X.d = !Y & Z
    > # Q
    >
    > Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.

    What is the device, and do you have any fitter map/report files,
    or only the source code ?.

    The link given earlier uses MAX+II as a stepping stone, to convert
    ADF to tdo to TDF

    Boolean Eqn porting should be relatively easy, often that
    support is still in the tool flows.
    Device specific configs would need some work.

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Mar 6, 2008
  10. CTSportPilot

    CTSportPilot Guest

    I finally recieved a reference manual from Altera about the syntax of
    ADF. (Although it lacks truth tables, which forces me to make some
    assumptions) If any one needs a copy of this, let me know.

    One thing I saw was that the T flip flops have inputs. Why?!?

    CTSportPilot, Mar 12, 2008
  11. CTSportPilot

    CTSportPilot Guest

    On Mar 12, 7:56 am, CTSportPilot <> wrote:
    > I finally recieved a reference manual from Altera about the syntax of
    > ADF.  (Although it lacks truth tables, which forces me to make some
    > assumptions)  If any one needs a copy of this, you can contact me.
    >
    > One thing I saw was that the T flip flops have inputs.  Why?!?

    Sorry about the reply to my own message. I should have known the T
    input wsas the toggle control. Bleck!

    CTSportPilot, Mar 12, 2008