Block Access During Maintenance - How

Larry Rebich

How do I block access to an Asp.Net web application so that I can perform
system maintenance?

I will be doing the following during the maintenance process:

1. Update the SQL database
2. Install new or changed Aspx pages.

If anyone is using the system I want to prevent them from further access.

It would be nice to send a message that tells them the system will be
blocked in 10 minutes. Then knock them off the system in 10 minutes if they
are still on.

I'm thinking we will do the maintenance over a weekend, probably very early
Sunday morning.

Thanks and Cheers,
Larry Rebich

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

How do I block access to an Asp.Net web application so that I can perform
system maintenance?

I will be doing the following during the maintenance process:

1. Update the SQL database
2. Install new or changed Aspx pages.

If anyone is using the system I want to prevent them from further access.

It would be nice to send a message that tells them the system will be
blocked in 10 minutes. Then knock them off the system in 10 minutes if they
are still on.

I'm thinking we will do the maintenance over a weekend, probably very early
Sunday morning.

Thanks and Cheers,
Larry Rebich

Hey Larry,

Drop a file called App_Offline.htm in the root (ASP.NET 2) And it will sort
it out for you!

Read this http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/10/06/426755.aspx for
details

Larry Rebich

App_Offline.htm DOES take the site down. Good.

App_Offline.htm's message is not displayed. Bad

I'm getting a generic 404 message rather than the App_Offline message -
which contains a 'maintenance being performed, please try later' message.

Is there some way to get Asp.Net to display the App_Offline message rather
than the generic 404 message?

Thanks and Cheers,
Larry Rebich