    Sunday morning.

    Thanks and Cheers,
    Larry Rebich
    Larry Rebich, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Larry Rebich

    RSH Guest

    We usually handle this in IIS.

    Ron

    RSH, Jan 8, 2007

  3. On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:10:58 -0800, Larry Rebich wrote:

    > How do I block access to an Asp.Net web application so that I can perform
    > system maintenance?
    >
    > I will be doing the following during the maintenance process:
    >
    > 1. Update the SQL database
    > 2. Install new or changed Aspx pages.
    >
    > If anyone is using the system I want to prevent them from further access.
    >
    > It would be nice to send a message that tells them the system will be
    > blocked in 10 minutes. Then knock them off the system in 10 minutes if they
    > are still on.
    >
    > I'm thinking we will do the maintenance over a weekend, probably very early
    > Sunday morning.
    >
    > Thanks and Cheers,
    > Larry Rebich

    Hey Larry,

    Drop a file called App_Offline.htm in the root (ASP.NET 2) And it will sort
    it out for you!

    Read this http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/10/06/426755.aspx for
    details
    --
    Bits.Bytes
    http://bytes.thinkersroom.com
    Rad [Visual C# MVP], Jan 8, 2007
  4. Larry Rebich

    Larry Rebich Guest

    App_Offline.htm DOES take the site down. Good.

    App_Offline.htm's message is not displayed. Bad

    I'm getting a generic 404 message rather than the App_Offline message -
    which contains a 'maintenance being performed, please try later' message.

    Is there some way to get Asp.Net to display the App_Offline message rather
    than the generic 404 message?

    Thanks and Cheers,
    Larry Rebich

    Larry Rebich, Jan 9, 2007