Blocking down level browsers- what is the risk?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by S. Justin Gengo, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Charlie,

    This of course depends on your user base. You may have users who have older
    computers and thus older browsers. But if your user base is typical of the
    overall market then you're pretty safe:

    Here's a link to fairly up to date statistics:
    http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox26.html

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzsche

    S. Justin Gengo, Apr 16, 2004

  2. S. Justin Gengo

    Andrew Banks Guest

    That's an appaling route to go down.

    Is this a commercial site? If so can you justify turning away possibly 5-10%
    of your customers because you can't or won't develop the website properly?

    Charlie@CBFC, Apr 16, 2004
  4. "Andrew Banks" <> wrote in message
    > That's an appaling route to go down.

    What appalls you may not appall everyone.

    > Is this a commercial site? If so can you justify turning away possibly

    5-10%
    > of your customers because you can't or won't develop the website properly?

    He has to answer for himself, of course, but can you justify the time
    required to develop your site to accommodate that 5-10%? If so, can you
    share your justification with us?
    --
    John Saunders
    John.Saunders at SurfControl.com

    John Saunders, Apr 16, 2004
  5. Charlie,

    Another resource for you that I use a lot:

    Also includes os stats.

    - Alex Papadimoulis

    Alex Papadimoulis, Apr 16, 2004
  6. S. Justin Gengo

    Marina Guest

    Not to mention that certain things simply cannot be coded to accomodate old
    browsers, etc. It would be sad to have to sacrifice
    functionality/performance and not allow most of the user base to have a more
    pleasant experience, for the sake of a few.

    Marina, Apr 16, 2004
  7. S. Justin Gengo

    Andrew Banks Guest

    > He has to answer for himself, of course, but can you justify the time
    > required to develop your site to accommodate that 5-10%? If so, can you
    > share your justification with us?

    It's a well know fact that 80% of a companies business comes from 10% of its
    customers (for the UK anyway)

    So at the worst he could be eliminating 80% of his clients business from the
    site should they be the 10% who don't use IE browsers.

    I know this is an extreme but if you were developing for a client, blocking
    anyone from viewing the site because you can't be arsed to code your HTML
    correctly is a risky route. If you're gonna do it, at least provde a solid
    business case for doing so. It's not a developer place to decide who should
    have access to someones business - that's a business decision.

    Andrew Banks, Apr 17, 2004
  8. The real fact to consider is are his users willing to upgrade to a browser
    that is compatible. We all think about having to make our code compatible
    with all browsers. We all know that just isn't possible in the amount of
    time a developer is usually given to create a solution.

    So, the best we can do is make our solutions as compatible as possible.
    Then, if we give our users an easy link to follow to upgrade their browsers,
    how bad is it to say, "If you want to use all of the functionality built
    into this site please use one of the following browsers: . . ."

    Since there are plenty of browsers we can code for that have up-level
    functionality, and since every single one of them is free, what is the
    problem?

    I've never had a user who wasn't willing to upgrade if they wanted something
    from one of our sites that required the upgrade to function properly. They
    may have had a problem if the browser wasn't free or if we didn't offer at
    least three different types of browser that we were compatible with. But
    we'll NEVER try to code for every browser out there. While it may be
    possible to, our company just isn't willing to spend the kind of money and
    time that would take.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP