Blocking Pop-Ups From Websites That I Open On My Webpage

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Ryan Sheehy, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Ryan Sheehy

    Ryan Sheehy Guest

    If I have a web page on my website labelled "testing.html" that only
    has the following code (which is only an example, but does work):

    <head>
    <title>Car Secrets</title>
    URL="http://www.carsecrets.com">
    </head>

    What would be the javascript code (or HTML code) that would block the
    target webpage's pop-up ads from coming up (being
    http://www.carsecrets.com/popup.html)?

    Would the script be any different if the website had a pop up when the
    user closed the page (if the source web page had some pop up come up
    when a user left their site)?

    Thanks,

    Ryan
    Ryan Sheehy, Jul 15, 2004

  2. Ryan Sheehy wrote:

    > What would be the javascript code (or HTML code) that would block the
    > target webpage's pop-up ads from coming up

    You can not create any form of link to a third party site which would
    disable popups coming from that site. Suggest your users get a better
    browser instead. <http://switch2firefox.com/>

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jul 15, 2004

  3. David Dorward wrote:
    > Ryan Sheehy wrote:
    >> What would be the javascript code (or HTML code) that would block the
    >> target webpage's pop-up ads from coming up

    > You can not create any form of link to a third party site which would
    > disable popups coming from that site. [...]

    Well, depending on the DOM and on the event handling structure of that
    document, you can. But since abuse of such code is likely, I think is
    best not to reveal how.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jul 18, 2004