BLOG: zenprofile (& berkeley) & zenoptimize

Ryan Davis

http://blog.zenspider.com/

I've recently written two (three) blog entries, focusing on a new set
of tools I'm experimenting with.

The first is zenprofile, which is Yet Another Profiler that tries to
strike a balance between code readability and speed (8 times faster
than the native profiler yet almost 4 times smaller than Shugo's
profiler).

The second is zenoptimizer, which binds ruby2c, rubyinline, and a
lightweight version of zenprofile together to create an experimental
profiler with startling results (5x faster!).

While I don't have code to show _quite_yet_, I'm close to having
everything packaged up and ready for release. It'll also require me to
put out new versions of RubyInline, ParseTree, and ruby2c. What I would
like is to get more eyeballs on all of these things and hopefully a
very creative dialog will result from all of this. So, please, take a
look and let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://blog.zenspider.com/

P.S. I'm in Berkeley for the weekend... anyone in the
Berkeley/Oakland/SF area??

George Moschovitis

zenoptimizer is a profiler or an optimizer? From your blog entry it
seems that the second assumption is true. This looks intriguing, but
there really is not much to discuss at the time. Perhaps you could
release a preview?

regards,
George.

Ryan Davis

zenoptimizer is a profiler or an optimizer? From your blog entry it
seems that the second assumption is true.

Well, they are both true really, since it only optimizes stuff that it
has been profiled to run a lot.
This looks intriguing, but
there really is not much to discuss at the time. Perhaps you could
release a preview?

I'm working on packaging up the optimizer, the profiler, and many other
toys into a single package and get it out soon... still, I don't think
"there really is not much to discuss at the time" is true.