    http://snice.net/tlc_rss1.xml

    Appreciate any suggestions.

    , Jan 25, 2005

  2. On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 wrote:

    > What's wrong with my feed?
    > Feed URL: http://snice.net/tlc_rss1.xml
    >
    > Appreciate any suggestions.

    I would say that something is misconfigured with your webserver. The
    above URL returns a 0-byte file. Consider:

    powerbook:~ michael$ telnet snice.net 80
    Trying 207.150.221.94...
    Connected to somehost.affinity.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    GET /tlc_rss1.xml HTTP/1.0
    Host: snice.net

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
    Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:00:28 GMT

    Connection closed by foreign host.

    Michael A. Cleverly, Jan 25, 2005

    I'm starting to wonder if I'm not fully understanding the basic concept
    behind an RSS feed. My feed publishes new postings in a forum. I
    check the forum every 15 minutes, take all postings that were posted
    since the last check, and put them into my XML file, and publish it to
    the webserver. So every 15 minutes, there is a new XML file; No two
    publishings share any items.

    Isn't it that easy? Am I missing something, like maintaining a given
    item within my feed for some period of time (across multiple
    publishings)?

    , Jan 25, 2005
  4. On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 wrote:

    > I'm starting to wonder if I'm not fully understanding the basic concept
    > behind an RSS feed. My feed publishes new postings in a forum. I
    > check the forum every 15 minutes, take all postings that were posted
    > since the last check, and put them into my XML file, and publish it to
    > the webserver. So every 15 minutes, there is a new XML file; No two
    > publishings share any items.

    So your feed, regenerated every 15 minutes, shows only new messages posted
    in the past 0-14 minutes? What if there haven't been any new postings
    since then?

    > Isn't it that easy? Am I missing something, like maintaining a given
    > item within my feed for some period of time (across multiple
    > publishings)?

    I imagine you'd want to republish every 15 minutes but include all the
    messages posted within the last X days (where X is some reasonable number,
    depending on the volume of posts and your readers expectations).

    As it stands, if I'm not reading your feed every 15 minutes I could end up
    missing some posts. And if there are no messages, your feed will be
    empty.

    Michael

    Michael A. Cleverly, Jan 25, 2005

    I guess the net ate my response to your posting regarding the
    zero-length file. That zero-length file was caused by a bug in my feed
    publishing routine, and I ask you to treat it as an anomoly that
    doesn't bear on this issue.

    >So your feed, regenerated every 15 minutes, shows only new messages

    posted
    >in the past 0-14 minutes? What if there haven't been any new postings
    >since then?

    I do not publish a file; The file from the prior interval remains
    online.

    >As it stands, if I'm not reading your feed every 15 minutes I could

    end up
    >missing some posts. And if there are no messages, your feed will be
    >empty.

    Yes, I concur, but isn't this also true of feeds from most news sites
    that are publishing a constant stream of news?

    I'm still baffed as to my original query - why bloglines simply refuses
    to re-read my feed after the initial subscription.

    , Jan 25, 2005
  6. Ben Lin Guest

    Which RSS version are you using? 2.0, 1.0? Did you change the pubDate of the
    items?

    Ben
    http://fadshop.net/blog

    Ben Lin, Jan 28, 2005